PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting problems.....as well as some advice on council houses needed

Options
I've been renting a 4 bed house for 5 years and all was well until recently when our landlord put the rent up. The problem is, we can't afford to pay the extra money as things are tight.

We've been on the council house list for 3 years and have 89 points (Does that mean anything to anyone?) are we close to getting a house? Any tips on how to speed it up??

Anyway, I've been looking at other houses (3 beds) but was shocked at how much the estate agent fees are...before we even move in I'd have to pay over £1000....and repay certain fees every 6 months, not only this- there is a good chance after 6 months we will be moved on which isn't practical (moving vans etc!!).

So what can I do?? Its a complete nightmare at the moment! I can't afford to live here/rent with a new landlord/or buy a house.

Any tips?

Comments

• ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In a 4 bed house I assume you have kids- if money is so tight, can you get any help with the payment of your rent?
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • heybigsaver_2
    Options
    No children any more...only two of us living here but we need three bedrooms for all the stuff we have!
  • Hoopylass
    Options
    I dont mean to sound harsh here but there is no need for you to be in a 4 bedroomed house if you cant afford it. Why dont you clear out some of your stuff, sell it on ebay or a car boot sale and look for a smaller, cheaper more affordable house.
    Total Debt
    Was £4145.81now £0.00
  • ginger_nuts
    ginger_nuts Posts: 1,972 Forumite
    Options
    first off I would tell the landlord you cant afford the rent increase .
    They may settle for what you had been paying rather than looking for new tenants .
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have three bedrooms full of stuff you need to find e-bay.:rolleyes:

Unless of course you use all the stuff regularly??
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The council, even if you were likely to get a property, would give you one according to your needs, as a couple, I very much doubt that you would be given anything bigger than a one bedroomed property. Likewise if you were getting help with housing benefit, the rent assessment board would be making an assessment on the size of the property that they would pay out for based on the amount of people, again, id be surprised if they advocated anything over a one bedroom flat.

You have 2 choices, pay up for something big, or get rid of some of your stuff. You never know you might make a grand from all the stuff in the spare rooms!

Lots of landlords who use Loot etc dont charge the same fees as EAs incidentally, that could be an avenue
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I think as to what you can get with Council house points varies depending on needs/availability. In my LA there are some properties that you can get for zero or very few points because they are in a really rough area and no-one wants to live there. At the other end of the scale, near where I come from, you need 85 points for a flat in a tower block.

You are not going to be top priority for council housing if you are a couple living in a three- or four-bedroom house, you are more than adequately housed. Also, they will not give you something that big, it will be one- or at the very most, two-bedroom.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • heybigsaver_2
    Options
    ailuro2 wrote:
    If you have three bedrooms full of stuff you need to find e-bay.:rolleyes:

Unless of course you use all the stuff regularly??

We are selling on ebay! I'll just make this clear...this is basically my mums query.....but it was easier writing it as mine, otherwise it would be 'we're' and 'my mum..'

My brother and sister lived with us until recently, and we still have an awful lot of their stuff until they get settled in their new houses.
  • heybigsaver_2
    Options
    lynzpower wrote:
    The council, even if you were likely to get a property, would give you one according to your needs, as a couple, I very much doubt that you would be given anything bigger than a one bedroomed property. Likewise if you were getting help with housing benefit, the rent assessment board would be making an assessment on the size of the property that they would pay out for based on the amount of people, again, id be surprised if they advocated anything over a one bedroom flat.

You have 2 choices, pay up for something big, or get rid of some of your stuff. You never know you might make a grand from all the stuff in the spare rooms!

Lots of landlords who use Loot etc dont charge the same fees as EAs incidentally, that could be an avenue

We're not a couple ;) my mum and I live here, and we need the three bedroom for foster caring, which the council are accepting.
  • angeluk69_2
    Options
    sorry but are fostering at the moment or on a waiting list.
    Proud to be me, proud to be who I am!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport