BEWARE of currency exchange company 'the change group' for euros

Options
i went online to look for a good exchange rate last week and found a company called 'the change group' offering a good rate with free postage. i sent them £800 and waited. nothing 5 days later except an email wanting a photocopy of my passport/driving license/bank statement and utility bill (yes more than enough to clone my ID big time). i protested but just got the same preprinted email again. no reply to answerphone messages and they don't answer the phone ! i got suspicious and started digging. their FSA number isn't thiers, i checked with the FSA who are now investigating and the phone number given to my bank as contact details dosen't exist. i do have insurance for this kind of fraud but you have been warned !!!

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Interesting. Their website looks genuine enough with contact addresses in London and at airports with landline phone numbers.

Companies do have to ask for ID for money laundering reasons if the transaction is above a certain amount - usually it's just a question of showing passport or driving licence when collecting, but that's difficult with mail order

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Change_Group makes interesting reading - suggests they are genuine but not very good.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They are genuine at some level, they have branches at Cardiff, Belfast and Luton Airports.

Why they would want all that ID I don't know though.
  • sarflee
    sarflee Posts: 375 Forumite
    Options
    I used these. Got the best rate at the time, no asking for passport but only changed £400 into dollars, delivered next day by special delivery. Couldn't fault them myself.

From the wiki entry, it appears they are a good company but don't neccessarily have the best rates.
  • gazzzza
    gazzzza Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    UPDATE- finally got my euro's after much hassle and many hours chasing them. Not worth the few extra euros i got on exchange rate, will stick to the good old post office next time.
  • greigster
    greigster Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    Great company, registered with them 24th June, ordered euros @ 1.195 to the pound, 600 euros cost me £500.63, paid by faster payments and the euros were delivered with free Royal Mail next day Special Delivery by 10.30am next day (today). I will use them every time.:T

Greigster
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport