Sending money abroad regularly

Options
Hello all, long time luker, first time poster :)

My wife and kids have gone to live in Mexico for a few months (long story...), and I need to send about £500 per month to support them over there. At the moment, I have just given her one of my (maxed out) credit cards, with the plan to stick £500 on there each month which she can then withdraw in cash, incurring multiple cash advance fees etc - so not a good way of doing things.

The only alternative I can see is Western Union, but this would cost me about 10% i beleive, which is still pretty huge - do they have a loyalty discount or something? Is anyone aware of a better option? If she were to open an account over there, would it be possible to set up a standing order to a bank in Mexico? I'm with A&L, and she could set up an account at Santander, which is part of the same company...

Alternatively, anyone with experience using a different international transfer company; any hints much appreciated!

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can certainly make bank transfers to a bank in Mexico - probably not by standing order though. It won't be cheap - but not in Western Union's ballpark.

£20 plus some hit on the exchange rate is my guess.
  • Takecareofthepennies
    Options
    Check out www.moneybookers.com. I have used them repeatedly over the years, even for large sums, without any great problems.
  • jamesbrownontheroad
    Options
    I can't help with the Mexican details, but my partner regularly sends money 'home' to the USA to meet student loan payments there. Assuming the "long story" doesn't preclude your wife from establishing a paper trail (nudge nudge wink wink) your wife could set up a bank account locally and you could send money from your UK bank account. All major UK banks have some form of international bank transfer service, and they'll be able to help you set it up.
  • bfresh
    bfresh Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I can't help with the Mexican details, but my partner regularly sends money 'home' to the USA to meet student loan payments there. Assuming the "long story" doesn't preclude your wife from establishing a paper trail (nudge nudge wink wink) your wife could set up a bank account locally and you could send money from your UK bank account. All major UK banks have some form of international bank transfer service, and they'll be able to help you set it up.
    no probs with the paper trail, as long as the FBI don't catch up with her she'll be fine :cool:

thanks for advice all, I will have a closer look at moneybookers and see about her setting up an account :)
  • Takecareofthepennies
    Options
    With moneybookers, she would also have to have a bank account there locally to be able to withdraw money. It's just that moneybookers' fees are a lot lower than bank transfers and the f/x rate you get is quite reasonable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure