o2 online

Pav
Pav Posts: 69 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
due for my annual upgrade on an o2 online contract - they usually offer me rubbish upgrade phones (probably beacuse i very rarely use anything that is not provided in my monthly payment) but i notice if i sign on as a new customer on pretty much the same tarriff i am currently on then yo can pick whatveer phone you want! so is it possible to cancel my exisiting contract then start a new one but get the same phone number i had on my old contract?

hope that makes sense! cheers in advance for any help

Comments

• Tallymanjohn
    Tallymanjohn Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    Carrying your phone number over is the easy bit, you just need to ask for a PAC code to give to the new supplier. The hard bit is trying to convince O2 that you're a new customer who just happens to have the same details as an existing one!. Your better bet is to phone O2 & choose the 'thinking of leaving' option & see what the best offer they can come up with to keep you. Worst that can happen is that you change providers & become a new customer elsewhere, with the associated offers, & if necessary, swap back again in a year's time if you miss O2 so much.
  • mbailey
    mbailey Posts: 858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Carrying your phone number over is the easy bit, you just need to ask for a PAC code to give to the new supplier. The hard bit is trying to convince O2 that you're a new customer who just happens to have the same details as an existing one!. Your better bet is to phone O2 & choose the 'thinking of leaving' option & see what the best offer they can come up with to keep you. Worst that can happen is that you change providers & become a new customer elsewhere, with the associated offers, & if necessary, swap back again in a year's time if you miss O2 so much.

You will need to transfer from O2 to another network first. You can then request PAC from new network and transfer back to O2 again.

PAC codes can't be used to transfer on the same network. (apart from 02 to Carphonewarehouse 02 might be possible I think...)
  • kahuna
    kahuna Posts: 10 Forumite
    If you call them up and ask for your PAC (personal ID number for your phone number) you can transfer your number to a new contract.

I've been an on-line user for three years and have always managed to get a decent phone despite, like yourself, never using much of my tariff details. Instead of calling the upgrade number, select '2' (when you call o2) to cancel your contract. This takes you to o2 retentions. Here they will usually give you better offers for phones, and even amend your tariff to save you money if your not using your minutes or texts in your tariff.

For example, I was originally on online 500 off pk (500 xnet off pk mins and 500 texts for £25 p/month) wasn't using the mins so downgrade to online 300 off pk (300 off pk xnet mins and 500 texts). o2 gave me the new 300 tariff for £10 a month instead of £20. I paid £30 for a k750i, at the time it was £50 for new users.

o2 have tightened their belts a bit recently to be fair but you can still get a good deal off them. I renewed my contract last week. I enquired about anytime mins and was offered 500 xnet anytime mins and 500 texts for £20 month. They were quoting me £80-£100 for a decent phone. In the end stayed on my £10 month contract and cos I only renewed my contract (didn't take a new phone) they credited my account with £100. So technically I have 10 months free line rental!

Dont just walk away, you've the bargaining power cos you've been with them for a year. Best thing to do is decide on say three phones you like, plus what changes you'd like to your tariff, then phone them up. You may have to call them two or three times cos sometimes it depends which operator you get through to.

See the O2 New Retention Tariff Discount 500 / Discount 750 thread (link below) for more advice:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=74041
  • transfer your number to prepay for a couple of weeks, then take out a new contract and port your number to it again.
    OU Student! - ED209, SDK125, DSE212, SK124, DSE141, SD226, DXR222, DD303, DD307 = BSc Psychology
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure