Money Moral Dilemma: She injured my dog - should she pay?

Options

Comments

• Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The OP invited people into her house and then chose not to keep her dog restrained, she chose to allow her guests and dog to have free reign of the the same areas of the house. The OP created the conditions that allowed the accident to happen.

The OPs fault.
  • C.Lightowler
    Options
    No - why are you keeping an animal in a house. Your fault. If anything ask her to contribute to having it put down.

what a silly comment
  • sparklymessygirl
    sparklymessygirl Posts: 696 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 23 June 2010 at 1:58PM
    Options
    KxMx wrote: »
    Peace of mind comes cheap each month!
    Not always - I have two elderly dogs and initially the insurance premium was reasonable. Several years later it has sky-rocketted but I cannot change insurers without now having several exclusions. They have got me over a barrel.

Sparkly
  • Krismousse
    Options
    You will have to choose friends more carefully. If your friend had knocked over and smashed an expensive ornament in her rush - would she have offered to pay for that I wonder. If she IS a real friend - persue the matter. If not - you will have to bite the bullet I think. Good luck.
  • WhyIsSavingSoHard
    Options
    DEANCPW wrote: »
    I work full time, my pets are insured, but i would struggle to afford dinner out with my friends.
    There's nothing here to say that her friend didn't treat her to dinner out or that they used Tesco Clubcard vouchers for it. It is possible to go out for dinner and only have to pay for your drink (around £1 for a pint of lime and soda most places).

As for the dilemma, hindsight is a great thing (keeping the dog out of the way / having insurance / going to PDSA or Blue Cross), but if the dog has already been seen and treated by a local vet, then the immediate problem is how to pay the bill.

It's not easy approaching a friend about this sort of thing, but if the restaurant hasn't already been contacted, you could suggest a joint letter to them to let them know about the food poisoning, hospital stay and accident with the dog. Also ask politely for compensation, saying that you'll get further advice and help if necessary regarding this. If the restaurant cough up, then it should be half for the friend and half for the dog.

It's not easy trying to find money for vets insurance if you're on benefits (my mum is on a pension and can't afford it for her dog that she got while working). Getting a pet once you're on benefit is in my opinion ridiculous, but it's not the animal's fault if circumstances change and you end up out of work.
    :j I'm not supposed to be normal, I'm supposed to be me:j
    :dance: Quidco cash back since May 2010 ~ more than £83.13 :dance:
    Must remember to use it more, but every little helps
  • Tarquin_Fauntleroy
    Options
    Hey there!

How about inviting your friend over for a 'clear the air' chat, then slam her head in the door repeatedly.

While she's sparked out on the floor, you can rifle through her pockets for money/ car keys etc and recoup your loss.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards
  • muzz463
    Options
    Hi just to give you an opinion from the other side so to speak.

My dog went for a friends dog and it resulted in her dog requiring a trip to the vets and stitches plus follow up trips. This happened on my property, and as i run a livery yard at home, it clearly stated in her livery contract that any dogs she brought up here were at her own risk, and that i was in no way liable for any resulting vets fees etc should anything occur whilst her dog was on my property. Furthermore she had signed this contract.

In the event, i felt terrible about the whole thing and as she was insured but not earning a great deal and just making ends meet financially, i offered to pay her excess for her treatment. I did then pay it.

Worse still, a few weeks later, she took her horse to another yard, and even tho i believe i acted morally well we dont really have any contact anymore. I feel i lost a friend, even tho i paid.

I would talk to your friend, however i think if she was a decent friend she would have offered to contribute to your vets bill.
  • minicooper272
    minicooper272 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's unfortunate but I think it was an accident and there isn't much you can do... You could always mention to your friend how difficult you are finding it to cover the cost and hope she offers but I don't think you can ask for the money, I mean, she was ill to the point of hospitalisation!

Hind sight is always 20:20 so people can't chastise you for what you should have done, but next time your dog gets ill, take it to a charity vet like the PDSA - they are there especially to help people who simply cannot afford their pet bills...

a quick afterthought but do you have any come back on the restaurant you were eating in? I mean, if they had to give your friend money for causing her illness, you could maybe ask her for some of that towards your poor dogs bill?
  • Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't think of asking my friend for money!!! Why is it that nothing is an accident any more? Someone always has to be to "blame" and money is always involved!!!:( I've had food poisoning and nothing matters but getting to the loo!!! After she went sick the first couple of times, the dog should have been put into the kitchen - or wherever - out of the way!!!
  • laminki
    laminki Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    The more important question is "has your HUMAN friend recovered fully from food poisoning?"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure