PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tips on how to negotiate price - Buyer

Options
Hi all,
I am currently considering buying a home (FTB), as prices seem not to come down (West - Greater London); savings being eroded by inflation and low return rates on savings.

Being FTB I want/need to understand how to strategically put offers, i.e., how low to start off and how to negotiate throughout. It seems insane the asking prices sellers are setting at the moment.

I would appreciate if you guys could comment.

Example of houses I have seen:

House A:
2 bed terraced, FH, nothing to do, just move in
- Asking price: Reduced from £242,950 to £239,950K
- House bought in March 2007 for £219,950
- Premium of £20,000 or 9.09%

House B:
2 bed Semi, FH, old boiler, would paint, strip wallpaper, but could move in
- Asking price: £245,000
- House bought in October 2006 for £194,950
- Premium of £50,050 or 25.67%

House C (didn’t do viewing, just have rightmove details)
2 bed terrace, FH,
- Asking price £228,000
- House bought in June 2006 for £190,500
- Premium of £37,500 or 19.68%

House D: (didn’t do viewing, just have rightmove details)
2 bed end of terrace, FH
- Asking price £229,950
- House bought in October 2006 for £199,000
- Premium of £30,950 or 15.55%

Comments

• Gwhiz
    Gwhiz Posts: 2,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Offer what you think a property is worth to you and you can't go far wrong.

Check out sold prices in the area (not asking prices) to gauge whether you are in the right ball park first.

Don't get emotional, it's a business transaction. That will keep you sane!
  • brit1234
    brit1234 Posts: 5,385 Forumite
    Options
    2006-2007 prices should be your very max price. Your offer should be lower than that. However you may have to wait a few months for the sellers to realise prices are falling again.

What part of West London?
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
  • nollag2006
    nollag2006 Posts: 2,638 Forumite
    Options
    brit1234 wrote: »
    2006-2007 prices should be your very max price. Your offer should be lower than that. However you may have to wait a few months for the sellers to realise prices are falling again.

House prices are up well over 10% in most parts of London from the late 2007 levels, so you need to factor that in.

Indeed, in large parts of west London such as Brentford where brit is looking at - house prices are up over 20% over the past year.

I wouldn't pay much attention to his advice. He missed the bottom of the market in 2009 - predicting that house prices would be down 50% by Christmas.

Didn't quite work out brit, eh?

Why don't you post so much on the Debate House prices threads any more? Is it because you get ripped to pieces?
  • pardal51
    pardal51 Posts: 427 Forumite
    Options
    brit1234 wrote: »

That's the problem. Sellers don't realise that and they still want to make a profit. We are looking for in Staines and believe it or not Feltham.
  • nollag2006
    nollag2006 Posts: 2,638 Forumite
    Options
    pardal51 wrote: »
    That's the problem. Sellers don't realise that and they still want to make a profit.

Some evidence would be nice. Plenty of people on here have been holding out for a crash for the past 18 months, only to watch the market fly away from them.

I tapped in Staines into the BBC house price tracker, and here is the truth on house price inflation in Spelthorne up to Q1 2010:

Spelthorne

Average house price
    £279,416

House typeAverage priceDetached£420,150Semi-detached£283,468Terrace£233,114Flat£182,798
    Annual change in house price
    +19.1%

Quarterly change
    +6.0%

Total number of sales: 255

Anyway, to give you some constructive advice on what to offer why not take a look at chickmug's excellent post:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1907059
  • pardal51
    Options
    Round my way, Isleworth, house prices are flying up. You should take a look there if you want to live in West London - the town is nice, but prices aren't crazy because its so close to Hounslow town.

My neighbour put here flat on the market a few weeks ago, and it went for full asking within 3 days.

I bought an identical one last Spring, and the achieved price is up almost 20% on that.
    Are you saying the flat you bought has increased by 20% in 12 months? Which part of Isleworth?
  • $$$_12
    $$$_12 Posts: 163 Forumite
    edited 24 June 2010 at 9:10PM
    Options
    Returning the OP's question. I'd suggest properly reading up on negotiation. This is probably the most expensive thing you ever buy (except perhaps your next house) so £20 or £30 spent on some decent books could save you thousands.

I'd highly recommend anything by Roger Dawson eg:

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Power-Negotiating-Roger-Dawson/dp/1564144984

particularly his audio CD of the above if you can get it.

Always always remember that the estate agent is not on your side. They work for the vendor - not you. Similarly you'll get little help from anyone else involved in the process either so you are pretty much on your own.

Always find out why the vendor wants to sell - are they looking for a quick sale or the right price? What extras can they throw in? What is the money going to be spent on? Knowledge is key.

Personally I've had success with these gambits:
    • Making low offers but suggesting flexibility
    • Ignoring estate agent suggestions of suitable offers
    • Only incrementing offers by small amounts (never split the difference evenly)
    • Making a big issue out of small things to get extra concessions (and having a long list of them)
    • Asking for something in return if I have to make any concession
    • Wincing at any price offered by the vendor
    • Acting dumb
    • Acting forgetful
    • Making them wait - going quiet for a few days
    • Blaming other people (like wife, dad, uncle, brother-in-law) for raising problems or making embarrassingly low offers
    • Not negotiating in places you don't have the upper hand eg estate agent's office, car, the vendor's house. I did most of mine over the phone or via email.
    I would also practice on houses you don't much care about first or even on smaller negotiations like buying stuff at a car boot sale. You really need to get some practice in.

You should also definitely get Property Bee to track the price history of the houses you're interested in as well as check on mouseprice.co.uk for their previous sales prices.
  • brit1234
    Options
    We are looking for in Staines and believe it or not Feltham.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    I'm looking more Isleworth/Whitton way (otherside of Hounslow).
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
  • brit1234
    Options
    Are you saying the flat you bought has increased by 20% in 12 months? Which part of Isleworth?

Don't belief what he has said we massively caught him out before lying on other threads.

As for Isleworth what StiflersMom says is rubbish. That's the area I have been watching for ages, all properties under £250k.

Save our Savers
  • pardal51
    Options
    $$$ wrote: »
    Returning the OP's question. I'd suggest properly reading up on negotiation. This is probably the most expensive thing you ever buy (except perhaps your next house) so £20 or £30 spent on some decent books could save you thousands.

I'd highly recommend anything by Roger Dawson eg:

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Power-Negotiating-Roger-Dawson/dp/1564144984

particularly his audio CD of the above if you can get it.

Always always remember that the estate agent is not on your side. They work for the vendor - not you. Similarly you'll get little help from anyone else involved in the process either so you are pretty much on your own.

Always find out why the vendor wants to sell - are they looking for a quick sale or the right price? What extras can they throw in? What is the money going to be spent on? Knowledge is key.

Personally I've had success with these gambits:
    • Making low offers but suggesting flexibility
    • Ignoring estate agent suggestions of suitable offers
    • Only incrementing offers by small amounts (never split the difference evenly)
    • Making a big issue out of small things to get extra concessions (and having a long list of them)
    • Asking for something in return if I have to make any concession
    • Wincing at any price offered by the vendor
    • Acting dumb
    • Acting forgetful
    • Making them wait - going quiet for a few days
    • Blaming other people (like wife, dad, uncle, brother-in-law) for raising problems or making embarrassingly low offers
    • Not negotiating in places you don't have the upper hand eg estate agent's office, car, the vendor's house. I did most of mine over the phone or via email.
    I would also practice on houses you don't much care about first or even on smaller negotiations like buying stuff at a car boot sale. You really need to get some practice in.

You should also definitely get Property Bee to track the price history of the houses you're interested in as well as check on mouseprice.co.uk for their previous sales prices.
    Very useful info much appreciated

How would you define the house to "practice"? Wouldn't you get "blacklisted" for further house viewings (time-waster) by a estate agent(s) if you got a negotiation/offers accepted then pull out?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure