Royal Mail - lost tracking number

Options
I'm probably not in the right place but hoping someone will be able to help me anyway. I sent a package on Monday (First Class Recorded, a mobile phone I'd sold via eBay). I received a mail on Wednesday from the gentleman I'd sold the item to, that he hadn't received it. Bit early I thought as this is RM and I'd only sent it Monday afternoon but fair enough I'll look into it. Well being an idiot I've misplaced my receipt with the tracking number on it. Researched online and was told to go to the Post Office I sent it from with the date/time/name and post code of the receiver and they may be able to give me the tracking number from their records. Well they can't, as the guy behind the counter told me anyway. I also cannot get through to a human at Royal Mail. Their 'Customer Services' is COMPLETELY automated. I've tried for 2 days to find a way of speaking to a real person just to see if I can in any way find out if the package was delivered/signed for/on it's way or it is indeed lost. Does anyone know how I can find it without this blasted receipt? I feel like such an idiot for losing it but I've never had this happen to me before. Any ideas would be great! Regards :beer:
;);) Better to say nothing and look a fool than to speak and remove all doubt :D:D

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm probably not in the right place but hoping someone will be able to help me anyway. I sent a package on Monday (First Class Recorded, a mobile phone I'd sold via eBay). I received a mail on Wednesday from the gentleman I'd sold the item to, that he hadn't received it.

Bit early I thought as this is RM and I'd only sent it Monday afternoon but fair enough I'll look into it. Well being an idiot I've misplaced my receipt with the tracking number on it. Researched online and was told to go to the Post Office I sent it from with the date/time/name and post code of the receiver and they may be able to give me the tracking number from their records. Well they can't, as the guy behind the counter told me anyway.

I also cannot get through to a human at Royal Mail. Their 'Customer Services' is COMPLETELY automated. I've tried for 2 days to find a way of speaking to a real person just to see if I can in any way find out if the package was delivered/signed for/on it's way or it is indeed lost. Does anyone know how I can find it without this blasted receipt? I feel like such an idiot for losing it but I've never had this happen to me before. Any ideas would be great! Regards :beer:

please use paragraphs in your posts
    large blocks of text are a pain to read and may end in you not getting responses

no chance of customer service helping you on this,they dont have the info
    If the PO cant help then your are at a loss as you lost the proof of posting

what was the value of the phone?
  • Becciboobah
    Becciboobah Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    It was £36, only sold it because I was desperate for the money (single mother, work, still skint). It doesn't really matter how much the phone's worth as I won't see any of it back regardless without the receipt. It could have been signed for for all I know.

I sent 2 at the same time, one I had the receipt for until she emailed to say she'd received it and then I chucked that one. Always has to be the one you lose that never arrives doesn't it :-(

Never mind, lesson learnt....and now no phone, £36 to refund and another week for the boy and I to live off thin air.

Grim!
    ;);) Better to say nothing and look a fool than to speak and remove all doubt :D:D
  • custardy
    Options
    It was £36, only sold it because I was desperate for the money (single mother, work, still skint). It doesn't really matter how much the phone's worth as I won't see any of it back regardless without the receipt. It could have been signed for for all I know.

I sent 2 at the same time, one I had the receipt for until she emailed to say she'd received it and then I chucked that one. Always has to be the one you lose that never arrives doesn't it :-(

Never mind, lesson learnt....and now no phone, £36 to refund and another week for the boy and I to live off thin air.

Grim!

you sent 2 RD items at the same time?
    if so,try changing the last number either way of the tracking number you have
  • adviceforall
    adviceforall Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    you sent 2 RD items at the same time?
    if so,try changing the last number either way of the tracking number you have

Thats a really good idea.. i never would have thought of that, when i was checking a couple form last week i didn't have to alter much of the numbers
  • custardy
    Options
    Thats a really good idea.. i never would have thought of that, when i was checking a couple form last week i didn't have to alter much of the numbers

If the labels come from a roll
    then they will be in sequence
  • adam.mt
    adam.mt Posts: 381 Forumite
    Options
    And personally I'd leave it a few more days to see if it turns up (before refunding the buyer), first class can sometimes take a few days and second class a week; so it's a bit early to assume it's been lost.
  • bb69
    bb69 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes leave it a bit longer to see if it comes.

Good luck with the changing number. Also go back to the PO and ask to speak to a manager maybe?

Let us know how you get on
  • Blacksheep1979
    Blacksheep1979 Posts: 4,224 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    from the way you phrase it, it sounds like your buyer received the item and didn't sign for it and is pulling a fast one otherwise they'd have left it a little longer.
  • fozzeh
    fozzeh Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Their 'Customer Services' is COMPLETELY automated.

Lie.

When you want to get through to a person...lie about the options you want. The worst ones are when you want to 'leave' and they keep you hanging around for ages in the hope you'll give up!

Best I have found is that you're not using a touch tone phone...there was a wesbite (something like 'speaktoarealperson.com) which told you the shortcuts to get to a person but can't remember what it is! Anyone?

Oh, and with RM, it takes around 12 minutes to get through to a real person so tell you that they don't know and they have ruined a highly needed British system.
  • custardy
    Options
    fozzeh wrote: »
    Lie.

When you want to get through to a person...lie about the options you want. The worst ones are when you want to 'leave' and they keep you hanging around for ages in the hope you'll give up!

Best I have found is that you're not using a touch tone phone...there was a wesbite (something like 'speaktoarealperson.com) which told you the shortcuts to get to a person but can't remember what it is! Anyone?

Oh, and with RM, it takes around 12 minutes to get through to a real person so tell you that they don't know and they have ruined a highly needed British system.

what option is there for leaving RM?

:p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family