Discount flights for bereavement travel - USA?

Options
Have heard a rumour that some airlines offer discount flights for bereavement travel from UK to USA. anyone heard of this / know of airlines offering this? Have made several enquiries to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    AA gave us a reduced (I think it was about 60% of the fare we could have booked online) last minute fare when my mum was very ill and we were told we should come quickly...this was 6 years ago and (thankfully) it's not something I've ever had reason to look into again. They said that they may ask for documentation from the hospital though they never did.

We called and explained the situation and they were very helpful and kind in a really stressful situation for me.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    I know of one situation where Virgin Atlantic did, it was around eighteen months ago. Worth a call?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Compassionate fares are available with most traditional airlines and require certificates from doctors to detail the circumstances, they aren't always the cheapest, but can be the cheapest with flexibility features at uncertain times. Call the airline to get more details.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure