PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

A vegetarian meal planner, please.

Options
Do any of you good people have a veggi meal planner and recipes, please. Not strictly veggie but not keen on meat or poultry, do eat bacon and fish though.

Comments

• seraphina
    seraphina Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We're a mostly veggie household although we occasionally eat fish. DH has meat in sandwiches occasionally. There are only two of us but it could be adapted for more. Here's what we've been eating this week.

Veggie sausages and mash, frozen green beans
    Pizza and garlic bread, salad
    Tandoori salmon and rice
    Pasta with chick pea and tomato sauce
    Jacket potatoes with various fillings
    Chickpea and potato curry.

Lunches: hummus+chutney, DH has been having brie and chorizo
    Breakfast: cereal or cinammon and raisin loaf toasted.

Pizza is easy to make -we usually do a HM one but we got a stack reduced in Tesco's so we're having one of those tonight
    Tandoori salmon - mix a few tbsps curry paste with 150ml plain yoghurt and marinate salmon filets in it. Grill/panfry for about 5mins on each side until cooked
    Chickpea pasta sauce - make a basic tomato sauce from onion and canned tomatoes; add chickepas towards end of cooking time.
    Curries - I have a base to which I add almost any vegetable - for potato based ones I fry off some mustard and cumin seeds in oil until they pop, add the potatoes and fry for 5 mins. Then add spices, a can of chopped tomatoes and whatever other veggies you like.

Recently we've also had aubergine parmigana (aubergine bake with parmesan cheese), toad in the hole (veggie sausages instead of meat) and a filo mushroom bake.

Just shout if you want any more info or recipes!
  • Biddyrolo
    Biddyrolo Posts: 802 Forumite
    Options
    There are lots of veggie recipies on the Abel and Cole website also BBC/food.
  • sarahs999
    sarahs999 Posts: 3,751 Forumite
    Options
    A standard dish we use a lot (especially in colder weather) is roasted vegetables (red peppers, red onions, mushrooms, courgettes, new potatoes) and goats cheese with ciabatta and pesto. Just chop all veg, make a glaze of olive oil (doesn't need to be extra virgin), pepper, salt and a little balsamic vinegar. Roast in hot oven for 35 mins. Split and toast ciabatta and spread with pesto (I like the red pesto best). Then chop goat's cheese and ad it to veg in oven for last five mins. serve on top of ciabatta with fresh basil. Yum!
  • bulchy
    bulchy Posts: 955 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    That sounds delicious Sarah.
    Sue
  • tinselfairy
    Options
    We don't eat much meat either, but we do use vege mince and chicken pieces.

Some of the things I cook are

Vegetable lasagne
    Pitta bread pizzas
    Lentil bolognese
    Bacon and mushroom vege suet roll
    Tuna canneloni
    Bacon toad in the hole
    Vege chicken in peanut sauce
    Vege chilli
    ...it is not of more importance than daily life, which I have an enduring wish to make as useful and beautiful as possible.

Georgie Burne-Jones
  • carrottopsuk
    Options
    Do any of you good people have a veggi meal planner and recipes, please. Not strictly veggie but not keen on meat or poultry, do eat bacon and fish though.

snoogiewoogie listed her mealplanner today.

I've made a meal planner but haven't found the recipes or costed it out yet. I'm hoping to move v v soon and that's when I'm hoping to try it out.

I eat fish but don't eat meat or poultry
  • scotgirl
    scotgirl Posts: 805 Forumite
    Options
    We eat a lot of veggie meals too:

Lunch is usually (to take to work):
    Baked Potatoes and cream cheese (lidl do a nice cream cheese like philly)
    Soup - have just made a lovely carrot and potato one for tomorrow and Fri
    Sarnies - especially pittas filled with houmous and peppers
    Salads with feta or goats cheese

Dinner:
    Veggie curry - had a lovely Dahl last night with lentils and spinach
    Veggie Chilli
    Tuna pasta (if you eat fish)
    Homemade pizza
    Veggie burgers
    Mashed potato with cheese (ultimate comfort!)
    Salads
    Baked potatoes

Hope this helps!
    The Best Things in Life Are Free
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Some of the meals I cook:-

Spinach and mushroom lasagne
    Toad in the hole with veggie sausages or with veg (roast slightly before adding batter)
    Felafel
    Chickpea burgers
    Spicy beanburgers
    Mushroom and onion suet pudding
    Vegetable chilli
    Vegetable shepherds pie (with veg and lentils)
    Spaghetti bolognaise using lentils
    Chickpea, potato and onion pasties
    Goats cheese and red onion tarts
    Quiche
    Roasted vegetable tart
    Curry - lentil, chickpea, chickpea and spinach, potato and chickpea, cauliflower (the list is endless)
    Pizza (garlic is a favourite of myself and OH - just tomatoes and a whole clove of garlic sprinkled over)
    Nut roast
    Mushroom risotto
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • Cat72
    Cat72 Posts: 2,398 Forumite
    Options
    Being a vegetarian for 26 years I find it is easy to get in a rut and rely on pasta, I also dislike quorn and tofu.
    I like to eat vegeatable satay, roasted vegetable & coucous, vegeatable kebabs ( sometimes mexican style) , vegeatarian haggis ( even the meat eaters like this ), vine leaves , vegetable fatijas
    I also like quick vegetarian yorkshire pudding which is very easy, yummy and versatile. It is especailly good on cold nights.
    However I am constantly on the look out for new food- especally tthat is quick to make and am trying to do a meal planner myself .I tend to concentrate on everyone elses food and forget mine !
  • gemmaj
    gemmaj Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Catkins - Any chance of quick instructions for Mushroom and onion suet pudding? I've never made anything like that before!!

sarahs999 - that sounds GORGEOUS, I can't wait to try it!! Have to keep quiet about it being goats cheese tho - hubbie won't eat it if I tell them!!!

My (slightly lame) addition is: HM wraps with sliced peppers, cooked in a little stock and mexican spices, served with nachos - tortilla chips covered in refried beans, salsa or guacamole with cheese, melted under the grill. Regretably, I have not managed to make tasty HM refried beans yet so its Old El Paso all the way :-(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport