what do we need to know about the 14 week training?

mhocmhoc Forumite
19.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
My son has finally got dates for his 14 week basic training and I am sure there are things he needs to know that no-one will tell you!

Will he get train travel passes to travel down and when are they issued? Not figured out what route he is going to take - must be at least 4 hours from here.

Also when and how will he start getting paid? This is going to be one of the biggest shocks, at the moment he is paid weekly into his bank account, never been out of work, getting paid monthly is going to be a stresser.

I know he will get a kit list a few weeks before hand but will there be anything on this list we need a heads up about - anything unuusal or any extra items not on the list that are vital. I assume he does not take all of his lifes possessions with him to basic training?

Christmas is going to happen in the middle of the training so what happens - do they get ? ammount of time off to come home? Do they get train travel passes for this or is this something he has to pay for himself?

Also what about things like personal insurance - he has not got any at the moment.

Also worried about this "oath of allegiance" . I assume this will take place at the local army recruiting office but what is actually involved. The rough date we have for it at the moment is the day before the other child has her graduation ceromony so we have to go 3 hours up the motorway after this oath is sworn
“Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”

Replies

• Calm down! I work at a phase one place, it's probably the same place your son is going to but I won't name it in public for my privacy as well as his.

I don't know too much about the admin side of things but rest assured, everything will be fine. He will get train tickets, there are people from the far islands of Scotlands 12 hours away on a train and they get tickets, no problem.

For some reason I think he will get paid weekly but TBH as long as there is no mortgage coming out of his account, he will probably struggle to spend it as they are really quite busy.

If you want to peruse a site that has a thread entitled "ATC ***** chat and questions" you could do worse than googling ARRSE. Be warned though, the squaddy humour on there is pretty awful at times and you would be well advisd to stay away from "the NAAFI bar".

Recruits get a long weekend after they pass their drill test (week 7 I think), if this coincides with xmas then they will just get xmas standdown of approx 10 days. If it's either side of xmas (by more than one weekend iyswim) they will get both a long weekend and xmas leave.

They will talk to the recruits about things like insurance and bank accounts etc etc. The oath of allegiance is nothing worse than what is said in court when you attest an oath. Once he has attested though, he is in the army and it's all "real".

Don't worry, we see hundreds of recruits whose parents couldn't give two figs about them so having a mum (I'm assuming you're a mum) like you will be a huge bonus to him.

Anything more specific, please PM me and I will try to get chapter and verse on it. As I said, not really my department!
  • mhocmhoc Forumite
    19.3K Posts
    Forumite
    I think Christmas falls about week four or five into the fourteen weeks so it looks like 10 days at Christmas and the long weekend as well.

Yes I've tried to look at this website, must be a parents section but got a bit lost.

Yes fully commited hands on parents :D

Dont have too many worries about his coping skills during training but on the few occassions in the past he has had problems its becuase one of his silly mates has had a "great idea" but if they are kept busy for as much of the 14 weeks as possible he cant be influenced by anyones elses diversions!

Not panicing too much yet. Just trying to think of ways to keep him amused over the few months he has to wait. Working full time but that still leaves 2 days a week
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • hi mhoc

my oh (other half) is currently doing his phase 2 training and i wouldnt worry about your son as he'll be fine once he gets there and settles in. I do have a list of the things that he will need to take with him and i will have a look for this and pm you with the info as if you wait until just before he leaves for training, it can cost a fair bit to get all at once.

It also takes a bit of getting used to for yourself as well as your son as in the first couple of weeks they don't get much time to themselves and of course they wont be able to use their phones for a while but this is because they have to get used to being out of contact. If its the army that hes going into then he will be away for the first 5 weeks then he should have a long weekend for you all to look forward to.
  • spike7451spike7451 Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Calm down! I work at a phase one place, it's probably the same place your son is going to but I won't name it in public for my privacy as well as his.

I don't know too much about the admin side of things but rest assured, everything will be fine. He will get train tickets, there are people from the far islands of Scotlands 12 hours away on a train and they get tickets, no problem.

For some reason I think he will get paid weekly but TBH as long as there is no mortgage coming out of his account, he will probably struggle to spend it as they are really quite busy.

If you want to peruse a site that has a thread entitled "ATC ***** chat and questions" you could do worse than googling ARRSE. Be warned though, the squaddy humour on there is pretty awful at times and you would be well advisd to stay away from "the NAAFI bar".

Recruits get a long weekend after they pass their drill test (week 7 I think), if this coincides with xmas then they will just get xmas standdown of approx 10 days. If it's either side of xmas (by more than one weekend iyswim) they will get both a long weekend and xmas leave.

They will talk to the recruits about things like insurance and bank accounts etc etc. The oath of allegiance is nothing worse than what is said in court when you attest an oath. Once he has attested though, he is in the army and it's all "real".

Don't worry, we see hundreds of recruits whose parents couldn't give two figs about them so having a mum (I'm assuming you're a mum) like you will be a huge bonus to him.

Anything more specific, please PM me and I will try to get chapter and verse on it. As I said, not really my department!

To add to Coldstreamers post,on the ARRSE site board for recruiting,the's also a thread for parents,who often make arrangments to meet up so when they/you go down to the pass out,they're not strangers.
    @ Coldstreamalways,
    Good show on Saturday!Especially in the timeframe!
    Spike
  • i've Pm'd ya mhoc with the list and hope everything goes ok
  • mhocmhoc Forumite
    19.3K Posts
    Forumite
    i've Pm'd ya mhoc with the list and hope everything goes ok

Thanks, very useful list, some things we would never have thought of and as you say it cant be all done in the last few days. Also if we can things like PE kit in variuosu summer sales and just keep putting things aside in readiness.

The coat hangers - they have to be wooden? so many of them as well

So they dont need to take suits them - or not for the 1st 6 weeks?

Also looksl ike he might be better just taking a basic phone with him and leaving the flash i phone at home.

As you say you have to think of 5 weeks of toiletries so they dont spend a fortune in the Spa shop. He has an obsession with hair gel, all versions which need sto be cured before he goes :rotfl:
  • mhocmhoc Forumite
    19.3K Posts
    Forumite
    Another thought.His hair grows quite fast and he needs a cut every 4 weeks - assume that there is a barber that thye go to?

(At the moment he just has a no 4, cultivating the long sideboards and unshaven look for the summer, hate the idea of the hair being cut very short)
  • mhocmhoc Forumite
    19.3K Posts
    Forumite
    spike7451 wrote: »
    To add to Coldstreamers post,on the ARRSE site board for recruiting,the's also a thread for parents,who often make arrangments to meet up so when they/you go down to the pass out,they're not strangers.
    @ Coldstreamalways,
    Good show on Saturday!Especially in the timeframe!
    Spike

Passing Out - something else to worry about.
  • mhocmhoc Forumite
    19.3K Posts
    Forumite
    hi mhoc

my oh (other half) is currently doing his phase 2 training and i wouldnt worry about your son as he'll be fine once he gets there and settles in. I do have a list of the things that he will need to take with him and i will have a look for this and pm you with the info as if you wait until just before he leaves for training, it can cost a fair bit to get all at once.

It also takes a bit of getting used to for yourself as well as your son as in the first couple of weeks they don't get much time to themselves and of course they wont be able to use their phones for a while but this is because they have to get used to being out of contact. If its the army that hes going into then he will be away for the first 5 weeks then he should have a long weekend for you all to look forward to.

Yes I've been in training for this - being out of contact. Youngest son is on 3 weeks work experience, ignores emails and text messages and we maybe get him to answer his mobile two or three times a week. So I am well used to being an "abandoned parent"
  • mhocmhoc Forumite
    19.3K Posts
    Forumite
    Also assume that there is some sort of laundrette?

He does know how to do his laundry but is not very confident yet - just sticks to doing either whites washes or darks. Very expensive machine that I really dont want him messing around with :D

But he was a cadet was he can iron shirts - something I cant!

I expect thats something they will spend a good deal of their spare time doing washing, ironing,sorting their kit out
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

British Gas prepay meter users...

...to pay less for gas from 1 April

MSE News

The 'odd Easter flavours' thread 2023

What bizarre food stuffs have you spied?

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools