NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm

Britain’s Best Company

Poll Title: Poll Started 29 August. Britain’s Best Company. Here’s a list of 50 major companies operating in the UK. You’re only allowed one pick. Which one is your favourite for quality, service and price? Which one shows all the others how to do it? (Next week, the same list and pick the worst!)

Abbey
Aldi
Alliance & Leicester
Argos
Asda
B&Q
BP
BT
Barclays
Boots
British Airways
British Gas
Carphone Warehouse
Co-op
Comet
Currys
Debenhams
Easyjet
HMV
HSBC
Halifax/Bank of Scotland
John Lewis
Lidl
Lloyds TSB
Marks & Spencer
Morrisons
NTL
NatWest
Nationwide Building Society
Netto
O2
Orange
Powergen
Primark
Royal Mail
Sainsbury
Somerfield
Starbucks
T-Mobile
TK Maxx
Tesco
The Body Shop
Tiscali
Top Shop/Man
Virgin
Vodafone
WH Smith
Woolworths
Zara

Click reply to discuss or vote here

Replies

• pinpin Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    BTW, Nationwide is technically not a company, but rather a mutual.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Website British companies uk has been known to remove some companies from their list.,after they have had a lot of complaints ,hope next week includes some telecommunications companies.
  • Ummmm how can this be a fair reflection if some folk havent used some of the retailers depending on the influx of customers they have it will show a skewed result.
  • Ikea claims to be Swedish, but my recent experience suggests its practices originate in Cairo's beggar's market, though in fairness that is probably an uniintentional insult to the latter.

Although price/quality at Ikea favours the customer, everything else is abysmal, in particular its claim to be "family friendly." Exactly whose family? Taking young children shopping for furniture is idiotic
  • KathrynPenguinKathrynPenguin Forumite
    620 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    GoodOlAl wrote:
    Although price/quality at Ikea favours the customer, everything else is abysmal, in particular its claim to be "family friendly." Exactly whose family? Taking young children shopping for furniture is idiotic

My DS (4) loves Ikea, he likes the food, playing in the bedrooms in the kids own space and there is a playground outside and he behaves like an angel all the way round the market hall knowing that the wonderfull ice cream machines where you buy the cone and pop it in are at the end. We don't really shop for furniture, just pop in there for tea on our way out of Lakeside to give him a treat! Oh and he doesn't want to go in the play place there - its too much fun in store.
    The best things in life are NOT free - but they sure are cheaper with MSE!:j
  • charlie12charlie12 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm really struggling to find a listed company worthy of this title, lol.
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    For quality and service, close call for me between Body Shop and Sainsburys, but I think the latter wins.

The staff at my local Sainsburys (Mere Green) are fantastic - nothing's too much trouble. Great quality food and other goods. Prices not the cheapest compared to Aldi, but I'm canny and take advantage of price reductions and special offers. (Last night got £27 worth of food for £4!)

Must say, the staff in Body Shop are excellent, and they're always helpful and their products are divine!
  • robin58robin58 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Sorry can't give a plus vote for over 3/4qtrs of these companies because of one time or another they have P***** me off with there bad service. :mad:

And the other 1/4 , never heard of some of them!! :confused:

So it's "Nil point" from me :rotfl:

Robin
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • All basically scum.
    Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river has been poisoned
    and the last fish has been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money
  • Got to be the JLP
    Good value, good quality, good service, good company to work for......
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals