🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

car hire with points on license

Options
Im trying to book car hire for my DH for a holiday in France.
Holiday Autos seemed reasonably priced on the interweb. when I rang them up to query a couple of points they said that the main driver must have no endorsements on their license in the last 3 years. unfortuantely DH has got 3 pts for speeding in 2008.

is this a general condition for car hire companies, does any one know another company which this would not cause a problem for as it could take me hours at this rate.

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have a look at this... Linky

Oh, and it's a licence!
  • clairehi
    clairehi Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    Options
    thanks Gloomendoom. It was a SP50 so would be fine according to your list but the woman at Holiday Autos seemed to think any endorsement was a complete no no.
    This is not mentioned on their website, although in the T&Cs it says you have to notify them of any endorsements, She also could not explain why the quote I got from their website was much cheaper than what she worked out over the phone, so maybe I wont be going with them, eh.
    it really is a complete faff.
  • Gloomendoom
    Options
    It could be that the car hire firm in France that HA use has it's own T&Cs that don't allow endorsements.

I must admit that I have never been asked when hiring a car abroad.

have you tried travelsupermarket for car hire?

Avoid AutoEurope if you don't like nasty surprises of the hidden cost kind.
  • clairehi
    clairehi Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    Options
    The local supplier is Europcar I think so maybe its their rule.

I went thro TravelSupermarket and a lot of the cheaper results seemed to have no option for full CDW which is a must, when excesses can be 1000 EUR or more.

I phoned up Carhire 3000 and have booked thro them as they were able to confirm on the phone the points were not a problem. they also do free canx up to 48hr before booking and free amendment to booking if we are delayed which sounds good.
  • Gloomendoom
    Options
    If you want to open your options up. Buy a separate insurance policy that covers the excess... and a lot of other things that aren't included in the standard hire car insurance.

Try this comparison site... moneymaxim.co.uk
  • Max_1066
    Max_1066 Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options
    I've not come across a problem with points for speeding on a licence and have never been asked about it. With all the speed cameras around surely the % of people with 3 points must have increased dramatically.

Def would be worth considering car hire excess insurance especially if you're away for more than 7 days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport