🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Travelling with cash in US

Options
I am doing summer camp and will be earning around $2,500 at the end of my contract. I will get a cheque that I can only cash in at the local county bank. I will need around $1000 spending money for a three week TrekAmerica tour soon after. I don't want to carry the other $1500 as cash due to risk of loss. Can I buy US travellers cheques with the $1500 and bring them back to the UK and cash them in? I can't bring the $2500 cheque home because UK banks take weeks to process and charge a fortune. Any ideas on the best way to get the $1500 home and be safe while I am trekking?

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes you can buy $US TCs and bring them home - probably even sterling ones if you want. In both instances there will probably be charges of some sort at both ends.

I wouldn't be surprised if it cost more than doing it through the bank though.

Another thought is to see if you can load it on a prepaid card of some sort - you still need to beware of charges though.
  • aerostar
    aerostar Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Post number 3 is SPAM !
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dzug1 wrote: »
    Yes you can buy $US TCs and bring them home - probably even sterling ones if you want.
    US doesn't issues £ TCs.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    alanrowell wrote: »
    US doesn't issues £ TCs.

The Amex US site says they do.
  • StevieGriffin
    Options
    Have done the camp myself long time ago, so not sure if it will still work, but we all used the camp's address to open the US bank account. All we needed I think was an US address, Social Security Number (I'm not sure if it's still possible to do while on J1 visa), and also a letter from employer. Wachovia Bank was the easiest one to open an account with on the East Coast - free of charge with Visa debit card.
  • Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Options
    alanrowell wrote: »
    US doesn't issues £ TCs.

Of course they do !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing