PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Timber Frame

Options
Hi,
We lost one house that was apparently a timber frame built in the 70's as HIP said
'cavity wall no insulation - assumed'
'timber frame partial insulation - assumed'

Which was a bit ambiguous but it was the first house that 'timber frame' was mentioned so assumed it was so and didn't up our offer as we were under the impression that timber frame properties are slightly cheaper than conventional builds, as well as being a bit cautious over whether they are as good quality.

Now an 80's house we really like that said just the
'cavity wall no insulation assumed' in the HIP
seems to also be timber frame.

It was an agent showing us round and he knocked on all the outside walls and found the hollow wooden sound of timber frame.
I was surprised and disappointed.
Does the HIP merely state possibilities?

What do other posters think of 70's and 80's timber framed houses? Were they badly built back then?

Thanks
Hunnie

Comments

• Evee2000
    Evee2000 Posts: 217 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hunnie

The first house that you looked at probably had either an extension that was timber framed or part of the main build had an alternative wall construction that was timber framed (hence two wall types).

When you say the agent tapped the 'outside' of the walls of the new house, I don't quite understand. Is the property bricked externally at all? Did he tap the 'inside'. If so, this isn't conclussive that its a timber framed property, and ideally you want to pop your head in the loft and have a look at the external build from up there. The hollow sound from tapping inside may just be plasterboard walls. The set of the windows can also be a bit of a give away to the timber frame build.

Don't think timber frame are any cheaper than brick and block build - and still a popular and quick to consturct form of new build these days.
  • hunnie
    hunnie Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Evee,
    The agent knocked on the inside of each of the outer shell walls. The actual inside walls are probably wood/plaster board anyway.
    Both houses look like conventional brick from the outside.

I have just found another property in the same road that still has a HIP available direct from the agents site (different agent) and that states
    'timber frame no insulation assumed'
    so guess they are all that build type.

Feel put off by this as I remember some Wimpey ones going up near us and my father (a general building manager) saying the timber shouldn't just be left lying around in the rain, as it was, prior to being used. They are however still standing but no way of knowing what state the timber is in now.

Also with the first house, we rang a surveyor for advice and he said he wouldn't do a survey on timber frame because he couldn't tell the state of it as it's hidden behind the brick work and plaster.

Regards
    Hunnie
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Check with your lender as to their policy on timber frames. Some appear to be ok on them, others not.

I just sold a steel frame construction house which was ok by the Halifax when I bought it and Nationwide when I moved the mortgage. However I had a couple of would-be buyers drop out as their lender wouldn't give them a mortgage.

I looked at a timber frame house when I moved over here, (didn't know it was timber frame when I made the viewing appointment otherwise would not have gone). It might well have been ok but after all the fuss selling mine, I decided to stick to brick.

The one thing which was a pain in the rectum with my old house, was as they are plasterboard internally, a) you can't have cavity wall insulation as the walls get pushed in (they tried it a few doors down and the walls started to bow inside). also if you want to put curtain rails up and other stuff on the walls, you have to get special plugs, rawlplugs wont work. The curtain rail never did stay put and would work lose.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • eco-friendly_2
    eco-friendly_2 Posts: 604 Forumite
    edited 13 June 2010 at 3:00AM
    Options
    hunnie wrote: »

What do other posters think of 70's and 80's timber framed houses? Were they badly built back then?

No they weren't, in fact the build quality can sometimes be better than a traditional. Windows, doors etc, are usually more square because the timber panels are factory built, timber framed 'kits' came with 100mm fibreglass insulation as standard around that time, giving much higher U values than brick built . All the timber is treated, decay is a myth. Having lived in one, the only negative I found with a timber kit is, you can get a little more noise transmitted down the studs from upstairs.

The first house I built back in 1989 was timber framed it's next door to this one, you can have a look it with 'street view' it's 26 Islay drive, the one with the 'coffin' garage doors! I ran out of money-it happens :p
  • tux900
    tux900 Posts: 410 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 June 2010 at 11:32AM
    Options
    hunnie wrote: »

Don't take this the wrong way but that's like asking whether brick houses were built badly back in the 70's and 80's. Whilst one can generelise it really won't help either way in determining how good the particular house you are considering is, particularly where such generalisations are all too often not backed up by any real knowledge.
    giving much higher U values than brick built

Presumably by 'higher' you actually meant 'lower'?! ;)

Mathew
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Timber frame builds are the norm round our way. As said above, all wood is treated.

I live in one now and would happily buy another. Nothing to be wary of with a timber framed house imo.

Our external walls comprise of treated 4" x 2" timber stud frame. (Rockwool insulation between studs.) Sheet plywood screwed to external side of stud uprights (again treated but can't remember the spec), then a gap, then the outer brick wall. Obviously plasterboard on internal face of stud uprights. (House was built in 70's btw, so spec may be different for today's builds.)
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • hunnie
    hunnie Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks to all, will probably keep hunting for brick built but also keep an eye on the one we really like as well. If it comes down in price might be worth a gamble!
    Regards
    Hunnie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills