PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice needed on blocked right of way

Options
124»

Comments

• tux900
    tux900 Posts: 410 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bilb27 wrote: »
    Not strictly true. You need to be able to get to a place of safety and an enclosed area is not this. Think of how many houses you see that do not have rear access? Not many.

You are joking, right?

From here I can see perhaps 40-50 houses. Those that do not have rear access come to around, 40-50 houses! (It's three Victorian terraced rows shaped in a triangle).

For that matter, the 'new' development (2007) just up the road is similar - most of the back gardens back onto each other and there's no exit from them.
    Yes but they dont have enclosed rear gardens. I have dealings with this every day in my job. Believe me I am right.

I'll pass on that if you don't mind! ;)

Mathew
  • bilb27_2
    bilb27_2 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Batter me all you like. Phone the LAEH and see what happens.
  • tux900
    tux900 Posts: 410 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    On a lighter note this discussion has reminded me of the time we went away on holiday leaving our neighbour to feed the cats… One of them decided to pull up the carpet in front of the front door hence the neighbour couldn't get in… She had to get some of her friends round to hold some stepladders whilst she climbed over the back fence to let herself in through the back door…

It wouldn't have been so bad were it not for the fact that she was in her 70's!! :eek:

Mathew
  • Wee_Willy_Harris
    Options
    Batter me all you like. Phone the LAEH and see what happens.

They will ask you nicely to stop wasting their time.
  • wannabe_sybil
    wannabe_sybil Posts: 2,845 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't have any access to the back of my home. If you tunnelled through the wall in my bedroom you would come out in the kitchen in the house at the back - we share a common back wall.

We have a front door and about six foot further down we have a kitchen door.

Do we not meet standards?

OP - I would be a bit wary of muddying any waters. You have to declare disputes re Rights of Way. It may be worth just letting it go and any buyers can deal with it in the way they see fit.

Is there a site that deals with these sorts of things, like hedge height and that. I remember seeing something once, and the solicitors bills for a dispute can be horrific. However it may be worth while having a short talk with a solicitor, just to clear up the options and without them necessarily taking action.
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • bilb27_2
    bilb27_2 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Boy have I touched a nerve. :rotfl:

If your property is provided with access to a rear area.(ie, Garden) then access must be provided. If you dont have a door to the rear then its not available as a MOE is it.

Just try the LAEH state your alternative MOE is not available. They may action it,they may not.

Just trying to give the guy advice how to sort his problem without resorting to solicitors,etc.

Jesus wont post in future you are all to brutal.:silenced:
  • Wee_Willy_Harris
    Options
    And it was just being pointed to both you and the OP that this is incorrect and a blind alley (no pun intended) to persue. It is just the attitude displayed that led to the OPs father arguing the toss with the neighbours about access as a means of escape in case of fire. It could well be this intervention that got their backs up in the first place. Unless there is a specific right of way in place already, you have no right of access to or from your back garden/yard other than that provided by the back door.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure