PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice needed on blocked right of way

Options

Comments

• gmgmgm
    gmgmgm Posts: 511 Forumite
    Options
    KS1977 wrote: »
    Yes, that's one thing I am thinking of. Maybe it's just worth gritting my teeth and bearing it for now. :) I don't want to make things awkward for myself really, although really, I should be able to get to the back of my house without having to 'fight' it out with the neighbours.

You said your father-in-law had tried to have a word- unsuccessfully.

Have you tried to ask neighbours? There must be at least one reasonably, normal neighbour near you who can help sort this out without involving solicitors or bolt-cutters!!
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    KS1977 wrote: »
    ....My point is that it should be a right of way, and right now it isn't. Everyone else in the row of terraced houses has an access point out of the back of the property. We don't! It's awkward for moving things from the front to the back...ie. Lawnmowers and garden equipment. If there wasn't any point, there shouldn't be any passage ways/ alley ways along side the houses to get to the back....but there are :)

It is no use saying it "should" be a right of way, there either is or is not a formal right of way. Your deeds will confirm if there is a right of way. If there is then you will have to take necessary action to enforce this if the r-o-w is being denied. If no formal r-o-w then you will have to sweet talk your neighbours.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • bilb27_2
    bilb27_2 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Speak to your Local Authority Environmental Health Department. They are locking a MOE from your property and the EH can force them to remove it. You must have access available to the rear exit from the property.
  • Wee_Willy_Harris
    Options
    bilb27 wrote: »
    Speak to your Local Authority Environmental Health Department. They are locking a MOE from your property and the EH can force them to remove it. You must have access available to the rear exit from the property.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

There is no requirement that you must have access available to the rear exit from a property. Even the briefest glance at google earth will show you that plenty of urban properties have no such access. The MOE, from an EH or H+S viewpoint is the back door.
  • bilb27_2
    Options
    Not strictly true. You need to be able to get to a place of safety and an enclosed area is not this. Think of how many houses you see that do not have rear access? Not many.
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    There are plenty of 1 bed houses that only have one door and also purpose built and converted flats where there is only one door into the building. Most flats/apartments only have one door.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • bilb27_2
    Options
    Yes but they dont have enclosed rear gardens. I have dealings with this every day in my job. Believe me I am right.

Flats are made to have a single escape route due to high standards of construction and compartmentation. Houses require 2 ways out.

I may be wrong but try the LAEH and bow before my greatness.:beer:
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Options
    Not strictly true. You need to be able to get to a place of safety and an enclosed area is not this. Think of how many houses you see that do not have rear access? Not many.

I better get my SIL to move then, and get all her neighbours to do likewise.

From her back door she has access to her walled back garden.
    No lane no nothing else, just her garden.

Her whole street is like that.
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    I've just remembered a friend had a 2 bed 1980s built inner terrace house where the only access to back garden was through the back door of the house.
  • Wee_Willy_Harris
    Options

Not many? Hmmmm... Leaving aside the fact that I think it's more than you realise, according to your own interpertation there should be none!

But take a look at many of the terraced developements of the 60's and 70's.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure