Playing games with Egg

Options
Hi All

4 months before my loan was due to end (last year) I noticed that the usual payment hadn't been taken from my bank account (by Direct Debit) which in turn left my loan account in arrears. When I contacted Egg about this they told me that I needed to contact my bank as they hadn't sent the finances (my understanding of a Direct Debit is that the recipient has to request the funds, which my bank agreed with).
When I went back to Egg they told me they would look into it and come back to me. Over the course of the next few days I received no contact from Egg, but continued to monitor the situation with my loan account through my online log in. After about a week the loan disappeared from my online account, but still no word from Egg. I called them to ask what was going on and why no one had been in touch with me as promised, I was told that the loan had been settled and the person on the phone told me I would receive a letter explaining the exact outcome, but basically because it appeared that Egg had made an error in not collecting the Direct Debit payment, they had refunded the amount to my loan account and refunded the interest from my last few payments which had resulted in the loan being settled. They also refunded my a payment of approx £270 to my bank account.
At the time I was just pleased to have finished paying the loan off, looking back now I can't help but think this was all very irregular (or perhaps not from what I have read!) - particularly as I never did receive any written confirmation of what had taken place. It's left me thinking that some very dodgy behaviour was going on and if I should investigate into the previous 2 loans I had with them, so...

Having read through the guide on the site to reclaiming PPI I decided to contact them to have a go. I sent off the letter requesting copies of the Policy T&Cs and this morning I have received a letter saying they are not obliged to comply with a request for this information as the account is now closed.
I've had a look through some of the threads, but I'm not sure if my next move should be to write back to them, or go straight for the SAR letter I've been reading about - any help would be most appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!!:):):)

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

Good luck with these.

Did you request your information by forms of a SAR request (Subject Access Request)? by using the template from this site?

They must comply by 40 calendar days, where you enclose the payment of £10 cheque or postal order.
    If they are unable to supply anything at all, then they return the payment and a letter to explain.

They must send ALL they still hold on the account with this request.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1475553

hope this helps, ask for any further help if required.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • Salad75
    Options
    Thanks Di!

I used a template letter from this site, but not the SAR one yet, just the initial one to request information, but I will give the SAR one a try now.

Thanks again!!:)
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Salad75 wrote: »
    Thanks Di!

I used a template letter from this site, but not the SAR one yet, just the initial one to request information, but I will give the SAR one a try now.

Thanks again!!:)

Your welcome, and good luck.:)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills