Help with PPI charges letter

Options
Hello all. I need some advice regarding the letter template regarding asking the bank for ppi charges applied to an account. Is it possible to include my request for a copy of terms and conditions of all the policies applied to the account. I noticed from my husband's bank statements, policy payment of £9.99 each month starting 2004 which ended on 2007 when he took out a new loan. On the new loan, a new PPI was added which i am about to reclaim in addition to those from 2004. On both occasions, we never had a copy of the policy terms and conditions among other reasons. Here is what i intended to send the bank that sold him the policy. Can you kindly check if this is appropriate? Many thanks to all your advices and more power to this site.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Re: account number xxxxxx

I am writing to request a fully comprehensive list of ALL the insurance charges added to my account with HSBC Bank. If you are unable to provide this data, I will accept copies of my statements. I understand that statements on their own are not covered by the Data Protection Act, yet I’m not requesting the statements per se, but the charges, which I’m entitled to.

Furthermore, I would like to request for a copy of the terms and conditions of ALL the policies applied to my account, both current and closed.

I look forward to your response within 40 days, as is obliged under the Data Protection Act 1998. If not I shall seek remedy from the Information Commissioner.

Yours faithfully,
With this letter, will they send the terms applicable for those years(2004 and 2007)? Coz i understand that terms do change over time. And do i need to include any payment for this type of request?

Again, my heartwarming thanks to evreyone. :A

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Bei wrote: »
    Hello all. I need some advice regarding the letter template regarding asking the bank for ppi charges applied to an account. Is it possible to include my request for a copy of terms and conditions of all the policies applied to the account. I noticed from my husband's bank statements, policy payment of £9.99 each month starting 2004 which ended on 2007 when he took out a new loan. On the new loan, a new PPI was added which i am about to reclaim in addition to those from 2004. On both occasions, we never had a copy of the policy terms and conditions among other reasons. Here is what i intended to send the bank that sold him the policy. Can you kindly check if this is appropriate? Many thanks to all your advices and more power to this site.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Re: account number xxxxxx

I am writing to request a fully comprehensive list of ALL the insurance charges added to my account with HSBC Bank. If you are unable to provide this data, I will accept copies of my statements. I understand that statements on their own are not covered by the Data Protection Act, yet I’m not requesting the statements per se, but the charges, which I’m entitled to.

Furthermore, I would like to request for a copy of the terms and conditions of ALL the policies applied to my account, both current and closed.

I look forward to your response within 40 days, as is obliged under the Data Protection Act 1998. If not I shall seek remedy from the Information Commissioner.

Yours faithfully,
    With this letter, will they send the terms applicable for those years(2004 and 2007)? Coz i understand that terms do change over time. And do i need to include any payment for this type of request?

Again, my heartwarming thanks to evreyone. :A

Hi there

Hope your well.

Its a good letter, but personally I would request it as a FULL SAR (Subject access request) where you will not only receive all statements, but all details on the ppi, the sale of it and so on.

You enclose £10 postal order or cheque payment and they have 40 calendar days to comply.
    I would also post by recorded delivery, to ensure it reaches them and for your proof of delivery.

There is a full SAR template letter here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1475553

Sometimes they enclose the agreements along with SAR requests, or you can request for this on its own, and enclose £1 cheque or postal order payment, they have 12 days to comply to this one.

For the agreement requests, remember as well to enclose the account number(s) so they can track this down.
    A simple letter of requests of the agreements (account number)
    And make them aware you enclose the requested payment for this request where you expect to receive by 12 days.
    Again post by recorded delivery.

For the SAR if you actually banked with these, then you just write your bank account number, they should send ALL you have taken out with them.

Hope this helps.:A
    Good luck.
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • Bei
    Bei Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there again. Can you please enlighten me? I'm sure i have read somewhere that if you dont want to sign your name digitally(because banks may just sent you back a letter asking for your signature for confirmation, thus delaying your claims further), you can just put a horizontal line over your original signature? Is that legal? Thank you!!!
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Bei wrote: »
    Hi there again. Can you please enlighten me? I'm sure i have read somewhere that if you dont want to sign your name digitally(because banks may just sent you back a letter asking for your signature for confirmation, thus delaying your claims further), you can just put a horizontal line over your original signature? Is that legal? Thank you!!!

Right, I am not too sure on this to be honest, as I have always signed as normal, hopefully someone will know the correct answer to this for you.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport