We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Royal mail office closing

Options
I work at a mail center which is about to close ,they are offering voluntary redundancy to those over 55 only.

RM want other staff to travel 70 mile round trip to the new office
even those who want VR and dont want to go to the new office.

By employment law is it reasonable for RM to expect people to travel that distance.

Have we got a case for constructive dismisal.

Comments

• Googlewhacker
    Googlewhacker Posts: 3,887 Forumite
    Options
    redken99 wrote: »
    I work at a mail center which is about to close ,they are offering voluntary redundancy to those over 55 only.

RM want other staff to travel 70 mile round trip to the new office
    even those who want VR and dont want to go to the new office.

By employment law is it reasonable for RM to expect people to travel that distance.

Have we got a case for constructive dismisal.

Talk to ACAS but I can't see constructive dismissal, if they are shutting the store they can offer alternate reasonable work but the reasonable is probably not 70 miles so you would expect to be made redundant
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
    987654 Posts: 367 Forumite
    Options
    It is likely to be considered a reasonable job offer - especially if they are assisting with travel expenses & the work still needs to be done at another location.

Not constructive dismissal at all - but you can always test it by resigning!
  • Starrystarrynight
    Options
    I dread to think how much a 70 mile round trip each day would cost in petrol and I imagine that RM won't be offering a fuel allowance.
    Is there a Union rep that you can speak to about it.
    From Starrystarrynight to Starrystarrynight1 and now I'm back...don't have a clue how!
  • Googlewhacker
    Options
    I dread to think how much a 70 mile round trip each day would cost in petrol and I imagine that RM won't be offering a fuel allowance.
    I always use 10 miles to the pound plus a bit for the calculation so say £7-£9 each way
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

• redken99
    redken99 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options

their is an allowance for travel for 3 years, but who wants use the M6 10 times a week for a postmans wage
  • Judas
    Judas Posts: 325 Forumite
    Options
    So the new office is 35 miles away from the old one. That in its own is borderline reasonable however you need to bear in mind somepeople may be 15 miles away from the existing office and 20 from the new one.

If you dont want to go you could push for redundancy but I think you may struggle to state 35 miles is automatically unreasonable; especially; if they offer some sort of recompense for travel.
    987654 Posts: 367 Forumite
    Options

There is support with travel costs - for 5 years - or they are providing a bus service. I'm sure that would be considered reasonable.
  • Googlewhacker
    Options
    I meant £3.5-£4.5 each way.....it is becoming a more reasonable offer I have to say

• dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    Options
    35 miles to work is par for the course. Thousands of people who live in Edinburgh make a longer journey than that into Glasgow every day for work (40 to 50 miles each way to their city centre, depending on which side fo Edinburgh you live). A three hour round trip, and that's by a relatively fast train, I might add. Driving it would be a nightmare.
  • redken99
    redken99 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    987654 wrote: »
    There is support with travel costs - for 5 years - or they are providing a bus service. I'm sure that would be considered reasonable.
    You seem to know alot
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family