PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Finding it hard to get copy of Tenancy Agreement

Options
We moved into our flat on 8th May, and since then, due to our Housing Benefit application, we have been asking for a copy of our Tenancy Agreement.

The letting agency are reluctant to give us a copy, and make a lot of excuses every time OH calls them. Their usual excuse is that they don't make copies of the agreement, and the agreements are stored in their Mansfield head office.

I was under the impression that we were entitled to have a copy of the agreement, we signed only one - and were never given the option to have a copy of our own.

If anything, due to my memory problems, having a copy of the agreement will be a godsend in avoiding breaking the terms of it, seeing as it's such a large list of rules and such.

What can we do to get the agency to get us a copy?

Comments

• Gwhiz
    Gwhiz Posts: 2,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should have had 2 copies to sign, one of which gets counter signed and returned to you
  • cyclicgearz
    Options
    Gwhiz wrote: »
    You should have had 2 copies to sign, one of which gets counter signed and returned to you

Nope, we went in on the morning we moved in, and signed only one, we signed two Inventory papers, but only one tenancy agreement.
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    Dear Letting Agent

I believe my rent is due and I would like to apy in accordance with the signed tenancy agreement. Please provide a copy so that I can comply.

Yours sincerely

cyclicgearz

Some here may disagree, but the idea is not to withhold rent, rather it is to facilitate payment.

I think LL and Agent side may be on a complete loser taking a tenant to court if such a letter is sent.

Another idea is to underpay by £100 and when they complain, say you thought that what you had paid was correct, but if they could show that you had agreed to something different, you would settle up immediately. You need to be a bit brazen to pull it off ...
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with DVardy that you should be asking for the AST in writing, preferably by recorded delivery (keep the receipt). You are not contracted to the letting agency you are contracted to the landlord so ideally you would ask him for a copy of the AST. If you do not have an address at which to serve notice you are legally entitled to write and request these details from the letting agency. I personally would not withhold your rent as you are legally obliged to pay it, however I might note in my latter that I am concerned that I am not able to claim LHA without a copy of the agreement.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • N79
    N79 Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    Options
    Nope, we went in on the morning we moved in, and signed only one, we signed two Inventory papers, but only one tenancy agreement.

Of course you only signed one - the LL's copy. But what I don't understand is what happened to the copy the LL signed (or the agent signed on their behalf). Where did that copy go?
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    does the agent not realise that without a copy of the AST you will not be granted LHA then he wont get his rent ???
  • princeofpounds
    princeofpounds Posts: 10,396 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Without confirmation of the landlord's address for service of legal notices (which is normally on the front of the AST) you are legally entitled to withold rent. It is however due as soon as the address is provided.

If, as a tenant, you ask an agent for the landlord's address in writing and they do not provide it within 21 days then it is an offence, and they can get a hefty fine.

Finally, it's impossible to get LHA without an agreement I would have thought.

Remind the agents nicely about all these things might produce some results. I will try and check up on any 'rights' to see an AST.

If they have just lost it, you still have an AST with standard terms as set out in the law, so it's not a disaster. The only annoyance I can think of is if they suddenly pull out a contract with BS clauses at a later stage (like paying for redecoration and so on). These are generally unenforceable so we can help you there if it ever proves necessary.
  • DVardysShadow
    Options
    ... If they have just lost it, you still have an AST with standard terms as set out in the law, so it's not a disaster. The only annoyance I can think of is if they suddenly pull out a contract with BS clauses at a later stage (like paying for redecoration and so on). These are generally unenforceable so we can help you there if it ever proves necessary.
    Agree, although this can be largely forestalled if you act now by getting in a letter or 2 asking for a copy of the Agreement as originally signed and keeping copies of letters sent. If the BS agreement turns up towards the end of the tenancy, you will be in a better position to deny that it was the agreement
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    why are folks automatically assumng that the LA will produce a bull s h i t agreement ?????
  • DVardysShadow
    Options
    clutton wrote: »
    why are folks automatically assumng that the LA will produce a bull s h i t agreement ?????
    I am not assuming they will produce a bulls hit agreement, just that they might. But the fact that they will not immediately and willingly hand over a copy to the tenant really does not bode well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure