High electricity usage?

Comments

• msmicawber
    msmicawber Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi,

I just had a quick browse through this thread and it occurred to me that the last property I lived in had an electricity meter - expensive pain in the neck, I thought, but that's by the bye. There's a standing charge that they extract via the meter. Have you checked with your supplier what rate the standing charge is on as it can be set to different rates for different properties?
    Debt at highest: £6,290.72 (14.2.1999)
    Debt free success date: 14.8.2006 :j
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    good point about the standing charge, so that may be the reason why it read 2,88 instead of 2.86
  • msmicawber
    Debt-free and Proud!
    When I first moved into the property, I had to keep topping it up and it kept swallowing credit and burping, then asking for more. It turned out that the property had been empty for 6 months so the standing charge had built up. Also the previous tenants had gone into arrears which was why the meter had been installed and it was still trying to recoup arrears. It didn't take too long to sort out - it was just a pain.
  • msmicawber wrote:
    ... There's a standing charge that they extract via the meter. Have you checked ...

BG have no standing charges for any tariff. they do however have a two tier rate.
  • msmicawber
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I must admit my supplier wasn't British Gas for the electricity.
  • I too am having a problem with high consumption. Nothing has changed in regards usage, which used to be covered by a direct debit of £65.50 p/mth. I am now in arrears of £988!

Whilst away on holiday for 2 weeks, my meter clocked up 200 units, about 14 per day. All that was running was fridge freezer, alarm clock, videos on timers and display clocks on cookers. When I'm home, using dishwasher, washing machine, cooker, microwave, kettle, tv etc. daily consumption is 22 units! This doesn't seem to add up.

I contacted Power Gen to ask them to test their meter. They said it wouldn't be at fault, and to test it would cost me £75!.

Do you have any advice for me please?
  • Wig
    egeemanto wrote:
    I too am having a problem with high consumption. Nothing has changed in regards usage, which used to be covered by a direct debit of £65.50 p/mth. I am now in arrears of £988!

Whilst away on holiday for 2 weeks, my meter clocked up 200 units, about 14 per day. All that was running was fridge freezer, alarm clock, videos on timers and display clocks on cookers. When I'm home, using dishwasher, washing machine, cooker, microwave, kettle, tv etc. daily consumption is 22 units! This doesn't seem to add up.

I contacted Power Gen to ask them to test their meter. They said it wouldn't be at fault, and to test it would cost me £75!.

Apart from starting your own thread, I advise you to first turn off the mains electric, does the meter still turn? That's step 1 if it's not a turning wheel meter does it still tick?
  • Wig
    my meter tonight 22 hours later is 30,915.6 which is about 2.3kwh since last night.

using not very much:
    numerous lights
    radio alarm
    computer 15 hours
    fridge freezer
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    egeemanto wrote:
    I too am having a problem with high consumption. Nothing has changed in regards usage, which used to be covered by a direct debit of £65.50 p/mth. I am now in arrears of £988!

A fridge freezer is the most likely culprit. Old appliances or a faulty door seal can really give problems.
    You would be advised to get a power measuring meter(Maplins have them for about £12) and try to see what is causing your high consumption.

Incidentally 22 units per day is just over 8,000 kWh per year and well over twice the average - which is 3,300 kWh). With Powergen at current prices that is still 'only' approx £800 - £900pa. As prices were much lower last year it is difficult to see how you have run up a debit balance of £988 as you were paying £798(£66.50) pa.
  • Wig
    Cardew wrote:
    (Maplins have them for about £12) .

................25 pounds
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts