We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

My cucumbers have wilted

Comments

• kimmee
    kimmee Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Post
    foxgloves wrote: »
    If they are still alive but just looking sorry for themselves, try giving them some seaweed solution. We use Maxicrop. It's around five quid a bottle but you use it very dilute & it lasts for ages. It can be very good at helping wilty plants through difficult times like when they haven't taken well to being transplanted. I once grew some french beans that got so damaged by gales then slugs, that I actually had to sellotape some of the stems. I tried them on seaweed solution & couldn't believe it when they rallied & we still got a good crop!

Thanks for that foxgloves - I've never heard of that but will try and find somewhere that sells it at the weekend :)
  • Sazbo
    Sazbo Posts: 4,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Oh dear... this seems to have happened to one of my cukes. I went into the garden last night after getting home from work and one of them was looking distinctly poorly - very wilted :(

I suspect it's root disturbance... Purely down to wedding preparations and then being away on honeymoon, I delayed pricking them out until we got back (about 2 weeks ago). By which time they were getting fairly well established. We only planted two cukes, because we dont have a lot of growing space, and for a while both looked completely fine after planting out. So now I'm likely down to one... On the assumption that it's too late now to be starting new ones off inside, I stuck a couple of new seeds into the pot last night - don't expect they'll grow, but it's a lesson for next year, I guess!

Saz
    4 May 2010 <3
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Root disturbance could easily be the problem.
    I'm trying to get info, did anyone !!!!! their cues out into a compost which says it has a water retaining gel in it?
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Sazbo
    I'm trying to get info, did anyone !!!!! their cues out into a compost which says it has a water retaining gel in it?

Well it's funny you should say that, ptp, because in fact I did add some water retaining crystals to the compost before pricking them out. I was planting them into containers and thought this would be beneficial? But do you think this might be the culprit? Compost too damp perhaps?

The annoying thing is I grew them last year for the first time - and as a total newbie to veg growing, didn't really know what I was doing. Started them off inside, then just stuck them into grow bags - and never had a single problem with them, had lovely cucumbers well into late September... hmmm

Saz
    4 May 2010 <3
  • peter_the_piper
    I have got a suspicion that the gel does get them too wet. i have just sown another 75 into compost without it but as the temps are much higher now its not a real test. Previously the 1st batches were in compost with cel coat which covers the roots with a layer to keep the water in. Will have to see next year what happens if I can't find anything out.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • kimmee
    kimmee Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Post

I pricked my cucs out into ordinary MP compost, not water retaining stuff and grew them on in individual pots indoors. I then hardened them off and re-planted outside again into ordinary MP compost so it could be a combination of root disturbance plus being too wet when I re-planted them the other day.

One seems to be fine, the other really seems to be losing the will.....
  • peter_the_piper
    kimmee wrote: »
    I pricked my cucs out into ordinary MP compost, not water retaining stuff and grew them on in individual pots indoors. I then hardened them off and re-planted outside again into ordinary MP compost so it could be a combination of root disturbance plus being too wet when I re-planted them the other day.

One seems to be fine, the other really seems to be losing the will.....
    Shame, I thought I'd cracked the mystery. Maybe this year is just a bad year for cues.
  • cooking-mama
    cooking-mama Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    my remaining indoor cucumber plant has produced 4 lovely flowers overnight...But i think only 1 of them is a female flower...do i have to pollinate with a brush or do i remove the male flowers..or do i do nothing???....im also worried about repotting this one,as the last one died within hours(no water retaining gel etc in the MP compost)
    Slimming World..Wk1,..STS,..Wk2,..-2LB,..Wk3,..-3.5lb,..Wk4,..-2.5,..Wk5,..-1/2lb,Wk6,..STS,..Wk7,..-1lb.
    Week 10,total weightloss is now 13.5lbs Week 11 STSweek 14(I think)..-2, total loss now 1 stone exactly
    GOT TO TARGET..1/2lb under now weigh 10st 6.5(lost 1st 3.5lbs)
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mine have just wilted too. I'm a total beginner though so anything I did could have been what did them in. :D
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Sazbo
    aliasojo wrote: »
    Mine have just wilted too. I'm a total beginner though so anything I did could have been what did them in. :D

yeah, it's most definitely you alias :D:D

xxxx
    4 May 2010 <3
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills