We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

cures for dead grass

deano23285
deano23285 Posts: 229 Forumite
hi folks, hope you can help, ive got a dog who obviousley pees alot and has killed patches of grass, i was wondering if anyone knew how to repair them??

Comments

• savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    You need to reseed I think

dig up old soil where there is patches. Put some fine new soil or compost I prefer multi purpose mixed in with a little sharp sand lightly spread. Apply seed evenly and a fine layer 2-3mm of compost on top and water well with hosepipe with fine spray or a watering can with fine spray

You can feed grass with grass feed to give it a boost too, but wont bring back dead grass

Keep seed watered regularly doing dry weather, about 10 days later you should see new shoots or get turf but need watering too
  • deano23285
    cool cheers for the help

anyone used the patch magic solution yet??
  • Kay_Peel
    Kay_Peel Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    Have you tried following the dog and saturating the patch with a bowl of water when they've finished?
  • Do you still have the dog?

If so then don't worry about the lawn unless you stop it peeing on it.
  • deano23285
    Kay_Peel wrote: »
    Have you tried following the dog and saturating the patch with a bowl of water when they've finished?

yup done that and nothing worked
  • danielle1977
    danielle1977 Posts: 218 Forumite
    deano23285 wrote: »
    cool cheers for the help

anyone used the patch magic solution yet??

We have and it was rubbish.
    I put it in the trolley at B&Q after seeing an ad. My partner grumbled at the price, he grumbled even more when nothing grew and won't let me forget it. He had brought a bag of cheaper seed a few days earlier and did some different patches with that-it has grown. Have had to redo the patch magic patches with other seed-it has started to grow.
  • bertiebots
    bertiebots Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    We have 2 dogs and the only way to have a patch free lawn is to not let them wee on it . I have tried following them round with watering cans etc but it doesnt work. I re seed patches once a year but new ones appear . The best cure is prevention although it isnt always practical to take them for a walk every time they need a wee I know;).
    I have also found over the years that girl and boy dogs are equally good at destroying grass:D If someone does know of a cure for this problem I would love to know too!

Luckily now I have halved the size of our lawn so halved the problem and one of our dogs prefers not to be seen when he goes out , so hides under the tree in the corner and "goes" on the bark chippings...he is shy:p:rotfl:.
    JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200:D FEB GC £197.31 out of £180:o. MARCH GC - out of £200
  • SallyForth_2
    SallyForth_2 Posts: 501 Forumite
    bertiebots wrote: »

Luckily now I have halved the size of our lawn so halved the problem and one of our dogs prefers not to be seen when he goes out , so hides under the tree in the corner and "goes" on the bark chippings...he is shy:p:rotfl:.

Now you just need to get the other dog to do the same and you have the problem solved!
  • BargainGalore
    BargainGalore Posts: 5,243 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    How come you never seen grass verges which regularly get fouled by dogs suffering this problem yet peoples lawns do
  • s4lvatore
    s4lvatore Posts: 276 Forumite
    That Patch Magic is terrible. 4/5 patches and nothing grew. Made my own with compost and seeds in a bucket, 2 weeks later its grass!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure