PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

"Quick Sale" companies

Options
We are looking to buy a property soon - paying cash/no chain. We will then be looking to sell our current house, no mortage, purchased for 36k 10 years ago now worth around 90k. The problem is our neighbour has started a dispute with us! He was fine for 10 years but then became an a$$ and it now turns out he tried the exact same things with previous owners of this house which is why they sold so cheaply at the time. Anyway, we need to sell this place quick as I just want away from him but with this a-hole next door we would have to declare it to potential purchasers and who would then want to buy it? We contacted some of these no fee quick sale companies and they say house is worth around 85k (subject to survey) and we would get guaranteed 70% of this (if we decide not to accept this then we need to refund them the £180 survey fee). they pay all fees, solicitors etc and we guaranteed 59k if the survey (done by local well known company) is the 85k they expect. Is there a catch? I know its much less than we could get putting it on market but we dont have time to decorate/update things. Also the neighbour dispute thing is a problem. I am ready to take the drop in profit for the quick sale but there are so many horror stories around about national homeuyers (not using them due to upfront survey fee and low valuation history) but have contacted Sell Quick and Rapid Property (later guarantees 70% of professinal valuation).

Any help appreciated as this situation is getting me down and although we can move I dont want to be left with this house and him hassling me and we know nothing about renting so would prefer to get shot of house and quickly. Help
Some People Live & Learn, Some People Just Live...

Comments

• Tea3
    Tea3 Posts: 460 Forumite
    edited 4 June 2010 at 12:47PM
    Options
    [TEXT REMOVED -I have removed the text about my neighbour as issues are resolved and I would hate him to read it and everything start up again :D Also it has no bearing on the quick sale companies the thread is about. Info below is from original post]

This is the reason for going for quick sale company but is there any way around this if we needed to sell via estate agent? We are willing to take a drop in price as I have recently got over bad depression and dont want him making me sink back down. Would prefer to use quick sale company due to these problems and to get away from here and him, but am worried about quick sale company dropping price at last min or being caught out with some unknown catch.
  • eco-friendly_2
    Options
    If the police and the environmental health weren't involved in those issues, you've 'nothing to declare' don't give your property away because there's an a$$ hole living next door to you.

If you can afford it rent it to the council :eek:
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I imagine you would get more in an auction than from a company run by liars and thieves.
    Been away for a while.
  • maria6259
    maria6259 Posts: 180 Forumite
    Options
    Can you talk to your neighbour and find out what his problem is? Also I would be getting the deeds and having a good look at them re the access.
    If you can afford to pay cash for another house, you could always keep this one and rent it out.
    If you want to go fast, go alone
    If you want to go far, go with friends
  • bandofbrothers
    Options
    Part of the paperwork you have to fill out for the solicitors hits on if you have any disputes with neighbours etc.

These quick buy companies are knoiwn for offering below market value, go thro the motions and then at the 11th hour drop the price again for whatever reason they can find.

Perform a search on this forum to read more threads on the subject.
  • Bermuda_John
    Bermuda_John Posts: 311 Forumite
    Options
    not all of them wil drop the price. I would tell them about the dispute and thats why you are willing to accept 70%.

How old is the neighbour? Where in UK is the house?
    i buy houses ........... any condition.
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    perssonnally, I would swallow my anger, pay to rip the trees out tidy the bushes *and* fix the fence, and sell up, because losing £2k for gardening is better than losing £30k by using a quick sale company.
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I imagine he's causing a fuss now because while you may have only used your access 5 times in 10 years, new owners may use it more frequently.

Shared access often comes with the territory with terraced houses, and if your deeds clearly state that you have it then there isn't really anything to 'dispute', just a guy who's not happy with the situation.

I'd find out exactly what the rules are on declaring disputes and if you aren't at that stage yet do what you can to appease him with the garden so that he doesn't escalate it to that stage.

I wouldn't even consider a 'quick sale' company unless you were absolutely desperate and it was your final option, maybe not even then.
  • Tea3
    edited 4 June 2010 at 12:49PM
    Options
    [Text Removed - this could identify us or neighbour so I have removed it as issues resolved and it is not relevant to the quick sale companies questions. Text below is from original post]

One 'quick sale company' company says they guarantee 70% which would still give us around 23k profit if valuation was 85k like similar house round the corner - not great but I just want shot of the place without bending the truth to some other potential buyer. We are viewing houses tomo and I am worried about buying a house and then being stuck with this one :( - we can afford to hold onto this one if needs be but its not a great area to leave ahouse empty and as said I know nothing about renting and the horror stories on here about tenants who know better than the landlords makes me wary of this.
  • Tea3
    edited 4 June 2010 at 12:51PM
    Options
    Bermuda John - sorry missed your post. Neighbour is around 55 [Text removed here about personal issues with neighbour, I was angry when I posted and issues now resolved as was part hubby and part neighbours fault]

I would prefer a clean break and get away from all the negativity and risk of an altercation between him and hubby (who is on verge of hitting him despite being the most laid back person ever).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure