PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• poppy-glos
    poppy-glos Posts: 478 Forumite
    Options
    i am posting as i have to learn!

Went to mr t to get the potatoes and a few salad bits for tea... spent £19!

got all sorts - incl 8 tins of the 35 p tomatoes...
    also got enough new potatoes for today and the weekend as it was buy two for cheaper than double the price of one bag).
    got mushrooms and spinach 30% off in the whoopsies, so have made a quiche for tea/lunches.

nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • ASC
    ASC Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all. Well, the weekend started in such a promising way but went downhill fast!

My order from App F00d arrived on Friday and on the whole I was pleased. A few items arrived with significantly worse bbe dates than were advertised on the website so I’ve sent an e-mail and I’m waiting to see what they say about that (DH is fanatical about dates so wont eat anything that he perceives to be out of date despite evidence to the contrary :mad:).

I was feeling particularly smug having ignored a £9 off £90 spend voucher last week :A and I calculated this weeks list carefully to see if I was close to being able to use a £6 off £60 voucher. My list only came to about £42 so I went to Mr T full of resolve – they were not going to tempt to me to buy stuff unnecessarily. To cut a long story short, I must have miscalculated very badly as when I got to the till, admittedly with a few additions and substitutions, I was horrified to see a total of £54 :eek: I could have added £6 worth of shopping for free :mad:

Things got worse when DH was complaining about never getting to Makro (I go alone during the week, he’s far too good at dumping thinks in the trolley) but MIL said she’d look after the children so we could go grrrrrrr. I managed to curb his worst excesses and most of the stuff was non grocery or will be for DS birthday party next month so at least that’s different budgets.

Just under £40 to last till the end of the month, that shouldn’t be a problem but I must still concentrate, it’s early days and it’s so easy to slip back into bad habits.

Hope you’re all enjoying the sun.
    A x
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Afternoon folks,

Spent €8.07 today, did buy some other fruit and veg, but OH paid for that so not counting it in my spending!

Good luck to everybody...haven't heard anything about UK budget, hope that it is kinder than expected.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • vatic
    vatic Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Updated for this past weekend, spent £54.06. Did extremely well last week despite having a bday party, did okay this week. Hoping that the fruit and veg costs should go down and costs in general should be low next week as we're detoxing once the crap's out of the house!

As long as we don't go completely crazy we should stay within budget this month!
    March win: Fair Squared organic spa skincare set
    It isn't where you came from; it's where you're going that counts -- Ella Fitzgerald

• Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :o:o I`m over this month, what makes it worse is that i`ve allowed extra to stock up and even gone over that :o:o

The freezer is even more rammed full than at the beginning of this month so i`ve just about given up all hope of emptying it, i shall have to do what i did last time and defrost it with the hairdryer and then put everything back, when i get the new fridge freezer i shall just have to put the old one in a spare room upstairs and hope for the best. My biggest worry with doing this is if it develops a problem and leaks, does anyone know if i can buy a huge tray from anywhere (preferably plastic with a lip around the edge) to stand it on?

I learned something last week so thought that i`d share, on the co-op website you can register to be a member and you will be sent a points card to use when you shop there, i never knew that this existed so for anyone who doesn`t know about it who shops in their stores get yourself along and join.:D

I`m declaring a a very embarrassing £221.85 this month, i can`t keep on spending like this though. I have bought some extras for my diet which restarted recently and i confess to picking up some whoopsies in the co-op as i never seem to find them anywhere, its a rare thing in our area so i snapped a few things up. Better luck next month eh?

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • Downsizing__for_sanity
    Options
    Sunnyday wrote: »
    :o:o My biggest worry with doing this is if it develops a problem and leaks, does anyone know if i can buy a huge tray from anywhere (preferably plastic with a lip around the edge) to stand it on?

SD

Lakeland do those really big deep trays for soaking your oven shelves in - would they do?

Spent £4.71 in T*sco on full fat and semi skimmed milk, as well as a tap adaptor for the new hose which was reduced to £2.50. Although we've been trying to grow some veggies this year, I've had to water them all by watering can up till now - and at 6 months pregnant, I've had enough! Everything got a nice long drink this evening at last.

Need to add up my receipts now - not sure whether to add the £43 I spent in M*rrisons on stuff for a Fathers' Day lunch for DH and my dad. Had we not been visiting we'd have gone out for a meal or cooked something nice so would have spent considerably more I reckon. I'll have to have a think about it...

DFS
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    Need to add up my receipts now - not sure whether to add the £43 I spent in M*rrisons on stuff for a Fathers' Day lunch for DH and my dad. Had we not been visiting we'd have gone out for a meal or cooked something nice so would have spent considerably more I reckon. I'll have to have a think about it...

DFS

I wouldn't. It's a 'one-off' that doesn't happen every month, and even if you had stayed in and cooked 'something nice' I still don't think that should count as it's not something you would have to budget for every month as part of your 'normal' food budget :)
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone - not posted for a while but I have been reading everyone's posts - welcome to all the newbies and hugs to those that need them.

On target this month but still need to go shopping again before my month finishes on Sunday so fingers crossed.

Been doing a lot of baking, made Gingerbread, hobnobs, choc fridge cake and choc chip cookies this week. Also been carrying on with making my own bread and rolls.

Starting to slowly benefit from stuff in the Garden, had strawberries, salad leaves and radishes so far and today I'm off up the Allotment to pick some Gooseberries to make some Chutney, shall leave the rest on there to ripen more and getter sweeter.

Have a good day everyone.;)
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• franby64
    franby64 Posts: 944 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all

I've got my last A*da shop of the month coming this morning and it should be about £60+ leaving me with about £20ish 'til next Weds.

I will need to pop round to the C*op and get some more T-bags. I got some reduced sausages and chicken breasts there yesterday which has made this last week a bit easier. I always hope they'll have some bargains but not too many! Don't want to spend too much!
    August Shopping Challenge. 26/8. Budget £250 Spent £256.81.. £6.81 over. So £0.00 a day left.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    I wouldn't. It's a 'one-off' that doesn't happen every month, and even if you had stayed in and cooked 'something nice' I still don't think that should count as it's not something you would have to budget for every month as part of your 'normal' food budget :)

I would - it's got to be budgetted for somewhere - or I'd take it from entertainment budget - which is where eating out would go:D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport