MBNA Credit Card - Application Successful Then Declined

Options
Hi

My partner applied for a new MBNA Platinum Plus Credit Card online at the end of April for a balance transfer of £4k from an existing credit card on the promotional rate of 5.9% until the balance is repaid in full.

At the time of application everything was completed successfully and everything was approved and she received an email advising that in order for the credit card to be sent to her she had to click on a link to view and accept the credit agreement, check her personal details and accept the terms and conditions of the credit card. This step was completed and she then received a copy of the credit agreement electronically. It was then stated that she should receive the card within the next 7 to 10 days. There was no mention at all at this point that the application had or would be rejected.

After the 10 days were up my partner had not received the card so she phoned MBNA up and a recorded message advised that due to the large amount of applications they had received it could take up to 21 days for the card to arrive.

Today nearly 4 weeks after my partner had applied and received confirmation that the card had been approved she phoned MBNA back up again as she had still not received the card and they advised her that her application had been unsuccessful due to the level of her earnings.

Are Credit card companies allowed to do this sort of thing where by they approve a new application and then reject it and has it occurred to anybody else. What course of action is now open to my partner as she still has all the emails etc she received from MBNA advising the card had been approved? Can she take it further and appeal against the decision. Any info would be gratefully accepted.

Many Thanks

Comments

• fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Unfortunately, whilst it definately seems unfair, the simple answer is yes they can.

There is nothing to stop them from even issuing a card, then the very next day, withdrawing it from the customer as they can pick and choose who they give credit too.

I can only assume that upto the point the card is actually issued the application is still at the "in principle" stage, where on initial checks everything suggests yes we can offer you a card.

The trouble is that although the card is for a balance transfer, there is nothing to stop your partner from decided not to transfer, then just run £4000 up on the MBNA card, thus increasing debt from £4000 to £8000.

She could write to them and appeal the decision, she may get a lower credit limit for instance.

It does seem unfair that they have kept your partner waiting for such a long time and even went further than just say yes in principle but actually sent the credit agreement.
  • nomohoney
    Options
    I just applied for the 5.9% ticked the signature credit agreement part and went to a page confirming credit limit which is stage 4. As I was reading it the page went to an error mbna.co.uk/UKCCapp/static/error.html. not sure if there was a further confirmation I needed to make

I checked and had not received an email.
    So I decided to apply again and was rejected after stage 1 which I think is because it looked like I was reapplying.

Has anyone also experienced this error after stage 4?
    Can anyone advise if the re-application failed at stage 1 because it already had my details?
    I will call them monday anyway

On reading the thread, if you reach the electronic signature of the credit agreement stage and are given your credit limit how can they then reject their own contract if it is signed? and assuming all the details of the application are correct and can be evidenced

I understand if they want you to verify details, as then they would just refer your application and ask you to fax in pay slips etc but how does it work if you can validate your application details and have entered an electronic contract with them?

just don't like to be mis-sold which it looks like they are doing - maybe its in the t&cs

If anyone knows any answers to the above please can you advise
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport