We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Redundancy and Tax

Options
Ailsb
Ailsb Posts: 967 Forumite
Hi, I hope someone can help me with regards to the tax that I've paid on my redundancy payment and that I will pay during this tax year.

I have recently been made redundant and received my redundancy pay a week ago. My P45 has arrived today with a covering letter that says "any payments made after your leave date will be taxed at basic rate month1. If ta the end of the tax year you are a higher rate tax payer it will be your responsibility to notify HM revenue & Customs."

My P45 shows total pay to date as £35,860. I was taxed at 40% on my redundancy over £30,000.

I am in a very lucky position of having a part time job that I am due to start next month (not sure of the actaul satrt date yet). My salary for the 10 months to next tax year is £11,250. I am claiming Job Seekers allowance until this job starts so likely to get 3 weeks worth of this. So my total income for 2010 - 2011 will be approximately £47,300.

How does the tax actually work?

Will I be taxed at 40% on my new salary until the end of the tax year and have claim back any overpayment of tax from my redundancy (not sure if I can claim any back). Or will I be taxed at 20% and then have to pay any overpayment back.

I am realy confused as to what happens now and any help would be most appreciated.
Cross Stitch Cafe Member #59 :j
Finished 2013 - Bug, Alessandra Adelaides "eye", Sandy Hook Square, Coffee & Cake, Turtle, Gecko, Cross for pouch, candle, stocking, snowman
WIP 2014: A-Z Nativity, Rock, Scissor etc Mable Figworthy SAL
Member of 13 projects in 13 Completed 9/13
Member of 14 projects in 14 Completed 3/14

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    If you give your P45 to the Benefit office, they will operate PAYE on your JSA plus you pay and then give you a new P45 when you sign off. This should be given to your new employer and by the end of the tax year you will have paid the correct amount of tax. That is the function of the P45.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family