shopping in glasgow?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
22 replies 1.8K views
Miss_CinnabonMiss_Cinnabon Forumite
19.5K Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
Which is the best place for shops in glasgow? never been so have no idea! going to stay in hotel in gretna as this was where we stayed when we got married in june.

Going for a days shopping with 3 kids just before christmas, so need to be organised as it will be busy!

Any tips?

Replies

• chardonnay_2chardonnay_2 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    the shops are on three main (pedestrian precincts) streets. argyle st, sauchiehall st, buchanan st.

behind argyle st is the st enochs centre (has a debenhams) and at the top of buchanan st is buchanan galleries (has john lewis) both of these centres have a variety of high st stores

buchanan st has frasers & posh designer shops and also has princes square which has lots of designer + posh shops.

out of town is braehead shopping centre lots of shops + has an ikea next to it.

http://www.stenoch.com/

http://www.braehead.co.uk/

http://www.buchanangalleries.co.uk/home.html

http://www.princessquare.co.uk/
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • I'd say the best without a doubt is Braehead, if you google it you will find the website. It has loads of great shops all under one roof!
  • Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say the best without a doubt is Braehead, if you google it you will find the website. It has loads of great shops all under one roof!

and it has Primark which we don't have :)
  • EmmziEmmzi Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    and the new xscape complex right by it - good for a pub and cinema break mid-shop!
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • kyle wrote:
    Which is the best place for shops in glasgow? never been so have no idea! going to stay in hotel in gretna as this was where we stayed when we got married in june.

Going for a days shopping with 3 kids just before christmas, so need to be organised as it will be busy!

Any tips?
    There is a European market at St Enoch's Square around Christmas, might be worth a look....?
  • HoopylassHoopylass Forumite
    910 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭
    The Glasgow Fort is also a great place to go, not as busy as the shops in the city centre and a huge free car park!
    Total Debt
    Was £4145.81now £0.00
  • ailuro2ailuro2 Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're staying in Gretna (which is a fair trek from Glasgow) why not go to the Gretna Outlet Village?
    I've heard people who have been say it's great!

Scottish tourist board have awarded it a 5 star attraction status.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • Miss_CinnabonMiss_Cinnabon Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi thanks for replys, braehead sounds great, will def go there! will also take a look at the outlet in gretna, wanted to go when we were there in june but didnt have time as we had to go to edinburgh.

What is the european market like at christmas, what stuff is there?

Thanks
  • Contains_Mild_PerilContains_Mild_Peril Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    and it has Primark which we don't have :)
    There's also a Primark in Sauchiehall St, near the city centre, and there's a TK Maxx next to it.
    ailuro2 wrote:
    If you're staying in Gretna (which is a fair trek from Glasgow)
    I think it's about 2 hours by train from Gretna Green, I'd guess slightly quicker by car (via the M74). If you're going by train, you want cheap day return tickets, and if you don't already have one, it would be a good time to get a family railcard.
  • Miss_CinnabonMiss_Cinnabon Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taking car to glasgow as it would be easier:j 2 hours would be right, will have to leave early to get some good shopping done:T
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides