🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

DSG Rebranding goods

Options

Comments

• Dollardog
    Dollardog Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    you sure about that, i thought hitachi was a brand on its own and not owned by argos

I have an Hitachi CD player and that has nothing to do with Hitachi, its a DSG product as I found out when trying to get the special rechargable batteries it takes.
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting, I did not know that.

I know my Mum bought a Samsung TV from Dixons online, and it was a model number exclusive to DSG apparently. But I now wonder if it's actually a Samsung at all?!
  • Esqui
    Esqui Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Options
    Samsung will be a Samsung, yes. It probably will just have a different colour trim, for exclusivity
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
  • mrprosser
    mrprosser Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cars are the same, seats have vw engines and so do skodas

That's not the same though, VWAG own a number of brands, skoda,, seat, RR, Bugatti etc. But those cars are made by VWAG. they may share floor pans, or engines but they are made by the company who's badge is on the front of them.

These electrical items aren't, I was conned into buying a philips monitor that has never been near a philips factory in it's life. It may or may not have philips components in it even.
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    edited 20 May 2010 at 1:25PM
    Options
    mrprosser wrote: »
    That's not the same though, VWAG own a number of brands, skoda,, seat, RR, Bugatti etc. But those cars are made by VWAG. they may share floor pans, or engines but they are made by the company who's badge is on the front of them.

Not always no! It's quite common for a car branded as one company to be made by an entirely different company.

e.g. Citroen C1's and Peugeot 107's are actually manufactured by Toyota.

Some Ford diesel engines are actually Peugeots. There are quite a few examples beyond where one manufacturer owns a number of brands, most of which aren't widely publicised for obvious reasons.

The question is, what is a brand? As a company will manufacture different products in different places anyway, and they certainly don't do it all in house. You would hope that any product branded by a certain company would fit the same quality requirements as the rest of their range.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,731 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To continue the car saga, the following manufacturers have produced clones or co-operated in design/production: Ford/Nissan, Ford/VW, Peugeot/Toyota, Rover/Tata, Fiat/Peugeot, Fiat/Ford, and vans Renault/Vauxhall.

There is no way these business methods are "illegal"!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mrprosser wrote: »

These electrical items aren't, I was conned into buying a philips monitor that has never been near a philips factory in it's life. It may or may not have philips components in it even.

as long as the item works then does it matter, its been going on for years so yes id say its legal
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dollardog wrote: »
    I have an Hitachi CD player and that has nothing to do with Hitachi, its a DSG product as I found out when trying to get the special rechargable batteries it takes.

thanks, didnt think the 2 were linked that way
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks, didnt think the 2 were linked that way

Hitachi are a Japanese electronics manufacturer. Maybe they mean HINARI?
    The man without a signature.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Nope , Hitachi licence items to DSG and Argos.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport