Easyjet 13Hour Delay Corfu - Gatwick 15th May EZY8752

Options
Hi All,

I was due to fly back from Corfu to London Gatwick on 15th May this year at 11.40am Local Time. The board said delayed by 20mins, shortly showing 1200 for departure. As we went through to the Departure Lounge, it then came over the tannoy that due to bad weather conditions, the flight could not land, and we would be updated in half an hour.

During this half an hour we watched other airlines such as FlyBe, ThomasCook, TUI etc take off and land for the next 2hours. When the update was received, it was told that the airplane had gone to Athens, and we would get the next update in 30mins again.

After this, we all waited around, the ground was wet, but not sufficient to stop landing, I have flown with airlines where they have landed in freezing, icy and snowing condtions. This was neither.

After we were offered a 4.50EURO Light Refreshment Voucher, we were then told that the flight would be leaving at 2250 Local Time.

Having read on the internet, should we have been entitled to Phonecalls, Accomodation, Internet Use? Or even more meals? I certainly received none at all! And had to wait around Corfu airport for another 12 hours, as the plane didnt leave until 0000, causing a 12.5 Hour delay.

As I had a connecting flight at 6pm, this was down the pan, and took my Greek Speaking friends to the Easyjet desk, where the agent could only change the 6pm flight to tomorrow at 7am, and not todays flight so the whoel thing is tomorrow, as the CFU-LGW flight had not been cancelled - just delayed ????

So after waiting in CFU for 13.5 hours, I then had to wait in LGW for another 6 hours till 7am.

Should I be entitled to any compensation? The flight is more than 1500km and the delay was 12.5 hours (+6 if you count the LGW wait)?

Thanks

Craig :o

Comments

• Cityboy_2
    Cityboy_2 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

I was due to fly back from Corfu to London Gatwick on 15th May this year at 11.40am Local Time. The board said delayed by 20mins, shortly showing 1200 for departure. As we went through to the Departure Lounge, it then came over the tannoy that due to bad weather conditions, the flight could not land, and we would be updated in half an hour.

During this half an hour we watched other airlines such as FlyBe, ThomasCook, TUI etc take off and land for the next 2hours. When the update was received, it was told that the airplane had gone to Athens, and we would get the next update in 30mins again.

After this, we all waited around, the ground was wet, but not sufficient to stop landing, I have flown with airlines where they have landed in freezing, icy and snowing condtions. This was neither.

After we were offered a 4.50EURO Light Refreshment Voucher, we were then told that the flight would be leaving at 2250 Local Time.

Having read on the internet, should we have been entitled to Phonecalls, Accomodation, Internet Use? Or even more meals? I certainly received none at all! And had to wait around Corfu airport for another 12 hours, as the plane didnt leave until 0000, causing a 12.5 Hour delay.

As I had a connecting flight at 6pm, this was down the pan, and took my Greek Speaking friends to the Easyjet desk, where the agent could only change the 6pm flight to tomorrow at 7am, and not todays flight so the whoel thing is tomorrow, as the CFU-LGW flight had not been cancelled - just delayed ????

So after waiting in CFU for 13.5 hours, I then had to wait in LGW for another 6 hours till 7am.

Should I be entitled to any compensation? The flight is more than 1500km and the delay was 12.5 hours (+6 if you count the LGW wait)?

Thanks

Craig :o

Craig

I have read another post in the last couple of days where someone was on the corresponding outbound flight to yours but have yet to find it. I shall post a link to that thread when I do.

Same advice to you, however. You are entitled to compensation of 400 euros per passenger and you should have been adequately 'cared for' during your wait for this flight. IMO 4.5 euros for a 12.5 hour delay is unacceptable and if you have receipts for a meal you have bought then you should claim this by sending copies of the receipts to EZ by recorded delivery.

You need to do some research on www.flightstats.co.uk to establish which other airlines flew between CFU and LGW at a similar time to your flight. Once you have evidence that the airport was operational to other flights between the 2 airports then you should write to EZ stating your claim.

EZ cannot be held liable for your missed connection. Concentrate on the potential compensation I have outlined above.
  • ScottySmog
    ScottySmog Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    Although some planes were landing, the Easyjet pilots may not have been qualified to do the necessary catergory of instrument landing required at the time and therefore (quite correctly) diverted.

This 2008 event springs to mind.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1096552/This-captain-Sorry--Im-qualified-land-plane-Flybe-pilot-tells-stunned-passengers.html
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cityboy - you are assuming Easyjet made the decision not to land. If air traffic control did it for them then they are off the hook for compensation if not for care.

section 15
  • Cityboy_2
    Cityboy_2 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    dzug1 wrote: »
    Cityboy - you are assuming Easyjet made the decision not to land. If air traffic control did it for them then they are off the hook for compensation if not for care.

section 15

That's precisely why I asked the OP to carry out some research before they submit their claim!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure