Free Festivals

Options

Comments

• freightexec2009
    Options
    Jinxed wrote: »
    Working at festivals is highly recommended, I stumbled across some work at one the the Gatecrasher Summer Sound Ststem Festivals a few years back behind a bar (although i was praying I wasn't in the RnB tent) and I was happily dancing along to Tall Paul, Seb Fontaine and Mauro Picotto DJing whilst serving many bottles of water. I should have been paid for it, but for some reason i didn't - and it's the one job I didn't mind doing for free. The hours are long, but if you are very lucky like i was you will love every minute of it :) Left Stoke at around mid-day and travelled down to the site, returned the following day at about 10am!! Very tiring but a great experience!!
    There are no dates for the summer sound system this year (apparently) but there is still Creamfields and Global Gathering which you can contact to see if they need people!!

Go and do it folks, you'll have a blast!! :T

Something I want to do! But finding it hard to get involved without paying any kind of deposit first and foremost, how did you go about it?
  • tomexeter
    Options
    Something I want to do! But finding it hard to get involved without paying any kind of deposit first and foremost, how did you go about it?

you'll pretty much always have to pay a deposit - that is the organisers' guarantee that you'll actually turn up and work, rather than just arrive get your wristband and then disappear!

you do get your deposit back at the end, as long as you do your shifts of course...
  • ilkamedia
    Options
    Celebrating Sanctuary London 2010
    Celebrating the Art of Refugee Communities in the UK
    Sunday, 13 June 2010, 2 - 7pm
    Bernie Spain Gardens, Upper Ground, South Bank, London SE1 (next to Oxo Tower Wharf), train/tube: Blackfriars, Southwark, Waterloo
    ADMISSION FREE
    Media partner: fRoots Magazine

Communities represented: Afghanistan – Armenia - Bosnia Herzegovina - Cape Malay (South Africa) – Chile – China - D R Congo – Iran – Iraq – Nigeria – Serbia - Sierra Leone – Somalia – Sudan – Tibet - West Indies (Grenada, Guayana, Trinidad)

Celebrating Sanctuary London, the annual free festival which celebrates the art of refugee communities in the UK, is back with a profusion of new talent across its three stages, pulsating with the sounds of live music, the flow of the spoken word, the sizzle of food and the rhythms of dance. Come and savour the cultural fruits of sanctuary at this unique event which launches Refugee Week: 14 – 20 June 2010. This year’s festival focuses on the current hot spots in the world where conflict and oppression is forcing people to flee: Iraq, Afghanistan, Tibet, Somalia and Congo.

Our Iraqi Yurt is a non-stop whirl of Iraqi contemporary culture, brought to you by BBC Radio 3 World Routes Academy, whose prot!g!, oud virtuoso Khyam Allami, has curated a programme filled with musicians, including himself, the Attab Haddad Quartet, Kurdish ensemble Arya, along with writers, playwrights and poets, performances, discussions and workshops. World Routes presenter Lucy Duran will be hosting the afternoon.

From Afghanistan: virtuoso tabla player Yusuf and his inspirational new musical project connecting the musical styles of the Baluchistan region from Qwaali to Afghani Pop via Persian Kharabati.
    From Tibet: the wonderful singer Soname, who endured a childhood in servitude in Chinese occupied Lhasa, separated from her parents and without education, freedom and family life. Aged sixteen she fled with a group of monks across the Himalayas. Her new CD, Natural Mind, will be out soon.
    From Somalia: Multi-talented Dhalad Iska (‘Dhalad’ means ‘native and real’ in Somali), a Londoner via Somalia about to hit the world every which way- as a rapper and singer/songwriter.
    Representing Congo: Ruby + The Vines – a wild, hot and about to happen new trio takes indie by the scruff of the neck and mixes vocalist/bassist Binise’s Congolese roots with Miriam Makeba covers, guitar stylings from all over Africa, Jamaica and the UK with in-your-face rock.
    Plus more music from festival headliners Sierra Leone’s Refugee All Stars as well as Amira Kheir, Duong Yang, Cevanne, Maambena, Marcina Arnold, Woven Gold, DuoPaprika, Tea Hodzic and World of Sevdah; Spoken Word from Patrick Neate, Chris Cleave, Malika Booker, Chika Unigwe and Prince Abdi.

There will also be workshops/activities for children, a chance to experience a Refugee Tent (supplied by UNHCR), as well as a multitude of stalls selling dishes and drinks from all over the world. Lamees Ibrahim, author of The Iraqi Cook book, will demonstrate some of her recipes, while members of Sowing Seeds, the Refugee Council’s Hounslow-based community allotment project, will be on hand for more cooking demos, recipes and produce…and maybe some gardening tips.
  • SplashWellyKid
    SplashWellyKid Posts: 229 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 June 2010 at 2:04PM
    Options
    This annual free fayre has been running for 35 years and attracts several thousand people from around South East London. It's run by the local conservation society:

HILLY FIELDS MIDSUMMER FAYRE

SATURDAY 19th JUNE, 2010
    12noon-5pm, Hilly Fields, Brockley, LONDON SE4 1QA

ATTRACTIONS: Dog Show, Shotokan Karate, Xtreme Falconry Birds of Prey, Salsa Vida, Tug o’war, Farm Animals, Land Train, Bouncy Slide & Dome, Children’s Rides, Rodeo Sheep, Craft & Bric-a-brac, Tea Tent with Homemade Cakes, Coconut Shy, Barbecue and lots of other refreshments.

COMPETITIONS: Bring your entries on the day
    CAKE DECORATING - Theme: ‘Bugs & Minibeasts’ - U12’s and 12 & over
    VEGETABLE MODELLING (any theme) - U12’s
    PHOTOGRAPHY - Theme: ‘Wheels in the Park’ - All Ages
    ART (any medium) A4 size only - Theme: ‘Summer Sundaes’ - U12’s and12 & over

Run by the Brockley Society:

Full details on their poster.
  • SplashWellyKid
    Options
    Hastings Old Town Carnival Week has been running in this seaside town since 1968.

Attractions include:
    • Official Opening - Sat 31st July
    • Hastings Old Town Pram Race - Wed 4th Aug
    • Grand Carnival Procession 2010 - Sat7th Aug
    • Music, performances, guided walks and much more.

Further details will be available on the website.
  • SplashWellyKid
    Options
    Hastings Day, the 944th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings, is 14th October.

This year's Hastings Week will be 11th - 19th October in the South Coast seaside town.

Usual attractions include music, parades, markets, exhibitions, guided walks, Best-Dressed Window Competition, £10.66 Meal Deals and a grand finale of bonfire & fireworks display.

For further details see the website.
  • mrbrightside842
    mrbrightside842 Posts: 1,317 Forumite
    Options
    The Whitehaven Festival is being held this weekend :)
  • VikiKirklees
    Options
    Every year Kirklees Council puts on a big 2 day free festival in either Dewsbury or Huddersfield. We always have big name pop stars and lots of other things going on.

This year Festival in the Park is in Dewsbury on 17 and 18 July. We've got magic of motown on the Saturday night and then pop stars Gabriella Cilmi, Roll Deep and Eliza Doolittle on the Sunday aswell as loads of other local and world music acts, street theatre and children's activities.

It's always a great weekend and worth checking out - find out more by going to the Kirklees Council website and searching Festival in the Park.
  • Hotspur
    Hotspur Posts: 528 Forumite
    Options
    17 and 18 July in Leamington Spa. Further details

http://www.habanaloko.co.uk/Leamington_Latin_Festival.php
  • iceband
    iceband Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Sadly, the Mozzfest event that's listed on the map page has had to be cancelled due to complications with the licencing.

I only know this because we were scheduled to play. They're still hoping it will go ahead, with a date change (31st July) but it's unlikely :(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback