PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Ewww my washing machine STINKS :(

Options

Comments

• Pipkin
    Pipkin Posts: 575 Forumite
    Options
    Ours was terribly smelly, I mean you could smell it through the whole house smelly..a 90 degree wash with soda crystals followed by a 90 degree wash with white vinegar did the trick..and we switched to Washing powder away from liquid, it has stayed smelling lovely ever since. (I spent £10 on a washing machine cleaner from Amazon, did nothing)
    M.A.C.A.W member number 39 :D

Those who are inclined to casual cruelty say that inside a fat girl is a thin girl and a lot of chocolate. Terry Pratchett
  • rockm87
    rockm87 Posts: 847 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    i agree white vinegar on a hot wash. Even add a cup to the drum also.

Then make sure you leave the door open to dry out as much as possible.

take some vinegar on a cloth and get into the rubber seals and clean out all the black gunk that just sits around the door.
    Total Debt in Feb 2015 - £6,052 | DEBT FREE 26/05/2017
    Swagbucks £200 Valued Opinions £100
    Dave Ramsey Baby Step 2 | Mr Money Mustache Addict
  • quidsy
    quidsy Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    Options
    I use white vinegar for anything like that, moldy or damp smelling stuff gets a white vinegar was. Try putting some in on a cycle
    I don't respond to stupid so that's why I am ignoring you.

2015 £2 saver #188 = £45
  • pennypusher
    pennypusher Posts: 331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I too tried all the ideas on the internet and eventually bought Dr Beckman's washing machine cleaner from Tesco's. It sorted out the problem but it is expensive! Sorted out the problem though!
  • flopsy59
    flopsy59 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    thanks will try the white vinegar also will try soda crystals
    i have a washer cleaner before from morrisons but it only lasts bout 2 weeks
  • shopaholicz
    shopaholicz Posts: 756 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I put soda crystals in on a hot wash, and just in case it's the drains and not the washer I also put it in the sink, which is next to the washing machine and wash it down with boiling water from the kettle.

Ours used to smell just like yours, you could smell it when you walked into the kitchen, but now I use soda crystals every 2-3 weeks and it seems to be working. Costs me £2 a go for soda crystal, but that's better than the smell.
    I love a bargain. Now mortgage and debt free. hurray!!:smileyhea
  • Bluebell68
    Bluebell68 Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    What detergent do you use?

Biological
    I use soda crystals must get some more
    did was today all was fine
    until later after as finished I wiped it out left door ajar
    oh my wot a pong don't understand it
    how it went from fine smelling nice to this awful smell:eek:
    Secrets And Lies Destroy Lives
  • paigesaunt
    paigesaunt Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've done lemon juice and white vinegar on a 90 wash today, it's better but not gone, one more and I think it'll be okay.
    Thanks for the tips
  • Lisa_bromsgrove
    Options
    My washing machine had the same problem.its 14yrs old though but still works. The washing machine man said do 3x 90degree washes . It worked. You must use powder detergent as it won't work with liquid. Thereafter
    try not to use softener all the time and alternate from liquid and powdered detergent.do this process once in a while if you usually do low temperature washes. When the machine is not in use leave the door open also. This has kept my machine smell free.
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't know if it helps, but my washing machine has been used at least 4 times a week for the last 14 years, and has never had a smell issue. I use Persil non-bio powder, and I never use fabric conditioner. I normally use a 40 degree wash, with occasional wool washes and occasional 90 degree washes.

Have you tried cleaning the drawer? Take it out completely and attack with an old toothbrush. It's amazing how gunky they can get.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport