We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

'Why aren't people called numbers...morning 62, how are you 71?' blog discussion

Options

Comments

• bubbles0169
    bubbles0169 Posts: 6,230 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i sometimes get names mixed up

im no good with numbers

and i have not a clue what claire said in post#8

:rotfl:
    I am not bossy I just have better ideas:p
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have the same problem, Martin. Numbers are just so much more meaningful than names.
    Something I do, subconciously, is note how many letters are in a word - I guess I am turning the word into a number. I get very confused if after meeting someone I later find out their name is spelt differently to how I imagined (e.g. finding out an "Amy" is spelt "Aimee" - it's a totally different name to me, mainly because it has a different number of letters).
    Eric_Pisch wrote: »
    What if our numeric number represented our position is society, changing as we progressed up and down the social scale
    Reminds me somewhat of a book called Flatland. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 5,000 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Join the armed forces if you want to have an identification number, or use your NI number.
    Anybody recognise 683576?
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    How about...
    Man leaning in on bar: “Hi, I’m 32 what’s your name?”
    Attractive woman fluttering eyelashes: “Hi, 32 nice to meet you, I’m 71″
    Man retorts: “Lets go back to my place and make 2272...”
  • weeowens
    weeowens Posts: 81,990 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    above four by yaoming reported to abuse
  • Danni
    Danni Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    keet83 wrote: »
    people in different countries can have different languages and would therefore pronounce names differently, people have same names already; try googling your name or facebook it, there'll be several people with the same name.

Facebook result for my name: my profile and my fan club (I have good friends).

Went through 5 pages of Google results and there's no-one but me.

Rare surnames for the win? :p
    Purple Penguin Power!
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    Options
    OH DEAR MARTIN! Have you ever been tested for autism? :p
  • Eric_Pisch
    Eric_Pisch Posts: 8,720 Forumite
    Options
    The reverse applies. Why do we have special names for numbers instead of using ordinary names eg. paul apple, sarah apples, bob apples, emily apples, ...

If penelope has sarah apples and claire has bob oranges, and claire gives penelope paul oranges, what is the change from a trevor if apples cost eileen for george?

simon pears
  • keet83
    keet83 Posts: 226 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2010 at 6:14PM
    Options
    I know that people have the same name as others :S I was just talking about first names, say Sarah was 1, Jane was 2, Emily was 3 etc, by the time you assigned every name a number it would go into the hundreds. But for example if Leanne was 134, and everyone who is called Leanne now had the number 134, it would still be quicker and easier to remember Leanne than it would 134, in my eyes anyway! But like I said, minds work differently, some are more likely to work logically and see the world in terms of maths, and other brains lean towards the creative and as such are better with words.

Both my names are French in origin, and they would be pronounced very differently in France than they are in England, but I don't see what point you're trying to make there :o

this isn't meaning that each name should be turned into a number, it means instead of names we use numbers, therefore we would not necessarily need so many numbers. also the use of decimal points could come in handy as well.

if 2 people's 'name' is 7, yet there was one from france another from UK, then they would be called seven and sept

anyway this isn't actually a serious forum, just a bit of banter going on like we should have quite often.
    [STRIKE]Beggars cant be choosers, but savers can![/STRIKE]
    That used to be the case :mad:
  • keet83
    keet83 Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    How about...
    Man leaning in on bar: “Hi, I’m 32 what’s your name?”
    Attractive woman fluttering eyelashes: “Hi, 32 nice to meet you, I’m 71″
    Man retorts: “Lets go back to my place and make 2272...”

sounds like bender from futurama flirting there
    [STRIKE]Beggars cant be choosers, but savers can![/STRIKE]
    That used to be the case :mad: