PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Blockage in fridge drainage

Options
We seem to have a blockage in the hole at the bottom of the fridge that drains away the excess liquid and wondered if anyone had a miracle cure for this - I've tried bending paperclips, straws etc down it to no avail.

Any ideas?

td x

Comments

• cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    make a funnel that will go down into the hole

use tin foil  or  cut off the top  of a bottle with a small hole in the top   like  makeup tube  etc

use as a funnel

pour down the hole   an egg cup of vinegar and right after  a spoon of bicarb  it will fizz like mad  leave it sitting there and voila  your hole will be unblocked   then roll a kitchen towel to a pointy end and stick down the hole to soak up the residue

or get the nozzle of a steam cleaner down there

;D ;D  lets know how it goes
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lemon juice & bicarb, maybe with the asssistance of a skewer if required, leaves your fridge smelling fresh too ;)
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    if your holes big enough, and your brave, get a straw in it and blow, all the crap comes out, hole cleared. (worked when i ran out of bicarb).
  • td
    td Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for that I'll try them and see if I can stop the swimming pool situation on mykitchen floor.

td x
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use a pipe cleaner for mine. They're useful as plant ties too :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Skewer followed by lemon juice & bicarb works everytime for me.....for some reason my fridge seems to sufer from this problem quite frequently, no idea why as I clean it regulary:confused:
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • tom_and_barbara_good
    Options
    You said that you had tried straws, have you tried blowing down them? you may have to push 2 or 3 together to get the length you need, it's the only thing that worked for my fridge.
    If I screw my eyes up tight I can just about see where you're coming from
  • Marishka
    Marishka Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    HUGE thanks to everyone who contributed to this, to TD for asking the question and to Martin Lewis for this wonderful site!

I read this thread 2 days ago and thought, "I'll give that a try in the morning, can't do any harm"
    At 2am I gave up on sleep, got up, poured vinegar and bicarb down the hole in my fridge, blew the gunk out with a straw and dried it with a twist of kitchen towel and then went back to bed.
    So that's a whole 2 days with no lake and pile of soggy tea towels in my fridge - for the first time in over 5 years! I thought I had tried everything - bits of wire, twisty kitchen towel and so on.
    Not only is my trusty 20 yr old Electrolux now nice and clean and dry but it's going to save me a fortune on kitchen towels and, I suspect, electricity!
    You really can't believe how happy i am right now -
    thank you all, you lovely people!!!!!
    a wombling we will go...
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    What makes these drain holes 'gung' up
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The cooler plate at the back of most fridges is gently warmed up after a chilling period in order to melt any ice that may have formed on it.

This is the water that then runs down the drain hole.

Quite how all the muck gets onto the plate to be washed into the hole is beyond me - but somehow odd bits of food manage to find their way there.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure