We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Thursday 13th May - What small DFW things have you done today!?
pixiechick99
Posts: 3,745
Forumite
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.
But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free
Examples could be charging your phone up at work instead of at home to save your electricity, hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.
So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
Morning:T
Well - just in cased you missed it yeesterday, my news is - I am having my long-awaited op next week:beer: The hospital rang with yesterday - funny how as soon as I write/email the chief exec a cancellation appears, how convenient:rotfl: So, good news (kind of - am scared:o) - but be good to get sorted finally. So next Thurs I won't be around for a bit...will miss this thread and site;)
I'm off to the hospital for mt pre-op assessment to day at 11, so no work:T Not much else on.
Hope all well here today - big hugs to everyone....!
Ok, my list:
But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free
Examples could be charging your phone up at work instead of at home to save your electricity, hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.
So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
Morning:T
Well - just in cased you missed it yeesterday, my news is - I am having my long-awaited op next week:beer: The hospital rang with yesterday - funny how as soon as I write/email the chief exec a cancellation appears, how convenient:rotfl: So, good news (kind of - am scared:o) - but be good to get sorted finally. So next Thurs I won't be around for a bit...will miss this thread and site;)
I'm off to the hospital for mt pre-op assessment to day at 11, so no work:T Not much else on.
Hope all well here today - big hugs to everyone....!
Ok, my list:
- daily scratch
- check banking and move weekly TCs
- packed lunches for girls to school
- park and ride to hosp for me - cheaper than parking and easier all round:)
- LSD - will buy a cuppa up there, I deserve it
- clean washing away
- meal from plan tonight - jacket pots, chicken
- meal plan for the few days next week
- get organised for dd2's birthday with is just after I get out of hosp - buy cards etc now
I really need to sort out a new signature!
0
Comments
-
Morning Milly and all that follow!!!
Just done 25 mins on the cross trainer and am about to scoot off to make a HUGE casserole in the slow cooker. Will be enough for 3 meals for OH and I!
Today
find a bicycle pump
check banking
surveys
look at daily sctratches
batch cooking
lunch at mums
DD2 to ballet and both DDs to swimming
I hope everyone has a great day:DOrange Fairy
House Purchased April 19
CC1=? CC2=? DH CC= Mortgage Overpay = £0 Savings = £0 Xmas savings = £0 Weightloss = 0 lb0 -
Ohhhhh Milly thats great news!!!:j:j but in a scary sort of way lol!!! You've waited such a long time for this, it will be great to get it done & you can get properly better!! :T
Didnt manage to get on here yesterday, but did lots of things - worked overtime, cleaned house, listed on ebay, made bread, cleaned kitchen floor, etc etc etc
Today:
- check online banking
- packed lunches
- tea from meal plan
- LSD - just shampoo for DH (he wont use mine or DDs!:rotfl:)
- Do half hr overtime
- Keep an eye on my ebay - now got 40 things listed!!!:T
- Younger DD got swimming after school
- Do all comps ending 14/05
- Do ironing (grr)
- Talk to my seeds
- Shred some paperwork
Have a great day everyone!! xx0 -
Hi everyone :wave:
That's great news Milly! :T
Big (dodgy looking!) hugs to everyone else :grouphug:
I'm going to work hard today and then come home and be a flylady miracle worker :rotfl:aye right!
I'll also:
- check banking to see the extent of the damage
- take leftovers for lunch
- put a coin or two in the jar (can you believe it, but OH said he leaves the coins in his pockets for me because he knows I love putting the coins in the jar so much!!:rotfl::o)
- PAD to cc
- kept my shower on 8 although almost I turned it up - but then remembered! :A
I need to skoot off to work now. catch up later
xx0 -
Morning All :wave:
Littlekel, I haven't yet managed to get my family to understand that cooking a large casserole means cooking ahead. If I cooked a 3-meal casserole my boys would have treated it as a challenge....I'd have been lucky to have made it last for 2 meals
Having said that Popeye and I are on diets so we're being better behaved.....
Today I have/shall:
Shop - with a list.
Return a couple of items that are wrong
struggle on with the knitting of Christmas presents
(the sleeves of this shrug have a bobble pattern that just looks bad)
Do my banking
Check with BA that my June flights are OK.........
Have a great day everyone :A0 -
Hello all,
Well done on getting somewhere with the hospital Milly
My list today
[STRIKE]Go to work
Tidy up after cats
Comps before work and comps after work
Check job site
Check online banking
Take recycling rubbish out
Call nan using free mins
Use free texts
Emailed two friends instead of calling
Will email OH to see how he is feeling - he has a man cold[/STRIKE]
Hope everyone has a good day!No you're not a vegetarian if you eat any animal or fish, so do not insult genuine veggies by calling yourself one! :mad:
Thanks to everyone who posts competitions. You are the stars of the board :T:j:T0 -
Hello chaps and chappessess's

Today
Pick up the campervan from the garage - OH's going to phone them and pay it
he says - it's his responsibility - for once I think he's talking aboslute sense 
Banks to check
Post a dvd amazon sale and a cd
Listed 10 ebay things last night to end over weekend
Boiling eggs at the moment for lunch sandwich
Put various clear out stuff in bin bags -- therefore they are indisguise and the bin men can pick them up (saves a trip to the dump)
Charge phone at work
Check CC's
Update my challenge spreadsheet
Freeze all the 10p bread/milk I got last night
Hunt about in the freezers for lovely things to eat
Meeting later - free coffee
Must email a couple pals rather than phone
Sort out a 'we've moved' word doc and get ready to send it
Tidy up my room and empty the last of it so Mrs Mop can spring clean it tomorrow - as there isn't much to do here now we're not here much
Free texts to cheer up a chum (thanks Catmiaow)
Use up bathroom stuff
Plant more seeds and hunt out pots
Walk doggie
Thats me today folks!Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
:money:Sleeves up folks.:money:0 -
Mornin ladies!! Milly that's excellent news! So plsd for you!:j How long will you be in hospital? The thread won't be the same without ur animated icons every morning (maybe now you will tell me how to add them!!!)
Ok still lying in bed (feel such a fraud having the week off as now I'm not at wotk and I know where my dd is I'm not falling apart but do feel I need to have some time off to get her settled). My company just anounced a restructure yesterday, unfortunately I wasn't at the meeting. I'm really hoping they're going to offer voluntary redundancies as I'm going to leave anyway be good to get a payout on the way out!
Today's list (largely made up of the little things I haven't done this week:o):- repotting plants
- water plants inside ones done, outside left to do!
- make bread
- dinner from plan oh cooking so deviated from plan- its TOTALLY worth it tho!
- NSD
- [STRIKE]flylady (bathroom & study today - our bathroom is like a very small box and we ave no study so should be a breeze!)[/STRIKE]
- call bank re dodgy dds
- do some exercise - maybe gym but if not a dvd
- [STRIKE]any surveys available/PC[/STRIKE]
- [STRIKE]update spending diary[/STRIKE]
- start 1 job appl
DF as at 30/12/16
Wombling 2026: £25.70
Grocery spend challenge Feb £285.11/£250
GC annual £389.25/£2700
Eating out budget: £ 48.87/£300
Extra cash earned 2026: £1850 -
Just quickly dashing in to add my list - I'm off to the allotment in a few minutes.
So far:- ran WM overnight - now out on line in the sunshine
- checked banking - no change (but better than getting worse I suppose
) - checked for surveys
- emailed DD rather than sending a text
- DH sorted out chickens so I could clean kitchen....hmmmm.......
- spend morning at allotment - helps to sort out my low mood
- taking home made cherry pies to allotment for "elevenses"
- spend afternoon in sewing room
- spend evening in sewing room (lots to do
) - have an NSD
- bulk cook bolognese to feed 2xDS as DH and I are away for a couple of days next week
- all meals from stores
Making magic with fabricLight travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.0 -
determined_new_ms wrote: »Mornin ladies!! Milly that's excellent news! So plsd for you!:j How long will you be in hospital? The thread won't be the same without ur animated icons every morning (maybe now you will tell me how to add them!!!)
that's enough - continue with the equillibrium
Hiya - sorry I've not given the link before - I saw you asked once when I was on the laptop and I don't have the link in my favourites there! I'm using the new MSE layout now and when I post the posh smilies it doesn't seem to show them? Very annoying, but here's the link for you to try anyway......
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=0&forumid=4#I really need to sort out a new signature!0 -
Morning all
Milly, good news about your Op! And did you really get a 'cancellation' just after writing to the chief exec??! You do very much deserve a cup of tea at the hospital - hope you've got a cheery WRVS cafe or something to have it in like our hospital, rather than just a machine!
Determined new ms - don't feel guilty about having time off. Sounds like you all need time to settle at the minute. And fingers crossed for voluntary redundancy for you with a nice big payout!
And morning to the rest of you too
I'm still in bed too - well, I slept on the sofa as Mr Daffs is away and I'm too pathetic to sleep in the attic on my own 
So today is going to be extremely cheery, and will involve...
* some PhD
* meeting old boss's friends for lunch (will spend as little as I can!)
* finding out about some work I'm doing on Friday
* getting a map out of the library (hope they've got it or I'm going to be lost!)
* cycling to Doncaster (20 miles - easily doable, but no idea how hilly, and I haven't cycled that far for months!)
* being Rock Star Girlfriend at Mr Daffs' cheery music night - and I get in free!
So not a bad day MSE wise apart from lunch, but will aim to keep it under £3 if I can...
Have a good day all
xx0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

