OMG is this for real???

Options
I constantly offers of loans and credit cards through the door, all of which go straight into the recycling bin after I've laughed at their 8% APR or whatever, but I just had something through which had me sitting here in open-mouthed disbelief and now has me furious and needing to vent.....

It's an offer from Provident of a cash loan with a typical APR of 177%!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: I actually read it twice because I thought I was seeing things.

To me it's absolutely unbelievable - this is just blatant loan sharking (they say unemployed welcome) and designed to prey on the most needy and vulnerable of our society. Surely there should be a law against such people??:mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm absolutely furious - can't Martin start a campaign against such people? Maybe there already is one - if so - point me to it.

Sorry - had to let off steam!

Comments

• Goldielocks
    Options
    I just had a look on their website. You are correct - APR is 177%

Disgusting and disgraceful. :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • oakdale_minx
    oakdale_minx Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    sadly it is correct. It is terrible.
  • Chriswil
    Chriswil Posts: 276 Forumite
    Options
    I looked at their calculator. A loan of £100 over 23 weeks has an APR of 497.4%!!!! This is an evil company.
    Waddle you do eh?
  • wannabedebtfree_2
    Options
    WHAT?????????

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!

Thats just disgusting.
    I believe that I have the strength to make my dreams come true
    :T September Challenge £5 per day - £0/£150 :T
  • freebird65
    freebird65 Posts: 1,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm actually sitting here wanting to ring their generous freephone number and tell them what I think. Trouble is, I'm so angry I wouldn't be able to get the words out properly and would probably sound completely stupid.....apart from the fact that some call-centre op isn't the right person to speak to. A strong letter to the chairman may have to be drafted!!!
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry I'm still picking myself off the floor...
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Iriahm
    Iriahm Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I got this through the post too and i'm disappointed that I gave it 5 seconds of my time to read (I should know better!).

grrr, surely that interest rate is not legal??
    Lightbulb moment: July 2006

Total debt: £39,678.01 July 2006 :eek: Total Debt: £19k March 2007

Proud to be DFW Nerd 123 :cool:
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had this offer myself, about two weeks ago - I binned it, but there are some very worrying issues:
    Provident, for reasons that evade me, actually enjoy a status of respectability in this market. This obviously says a lot for the other players, but have a look in the high street at just how many shops accept provident cheques. They are also involved in a Credit Card, which I was also offered, with apr of 66+%.
    Provident, and others, are actually profiting from other people's misery. Of course most of us would like to have £500 cash and know that we can not get it from the bank. Certainly £500.00 would keep a few of my creditors off of my back for a month or so, but what would happen then? My impression is that Provident would then step in with the offer of more finance, at possibly even higher rates. How would we ever be debt free.
    These people are the s**m of the earth - I hope that one day they experience some of the problems we have.
    Watch out for Capital 1 offer of £100,000.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • file_wizzard
    Options
    Whilst not advocating what this company do in any way shape or form. I think you need to keep in perspective the fact that APR’s are a little misleading for loans which are in fact intended to run over a few weeks.

However, this company can, and will actively encourage their clients to take out another loan to pay of the 1st loan, and then a few weeks later offer more again!, very dubious lending practices indeed
    :rolleyes: It’s hard enough remembering my opinions - without remembering my reasons for them :rolleyes:
  • mummyyummy_2
    Options
    hi there, what you need to remember with companies like that is what you see is what you get, they have no hidden charges, no missed payment charges, no returned direct debit charges etc etc. Remember that someone comes to your own door every how often you decide, and if you cant pay your full amount e.g. then you can pay it next week, with still no added charges, what bank would do that for you? I know this i have been their customer for years. All i have to do is call them, they do the rest at my home...for those who dont like paperwork or even going out!!!! its great. There are also a lot of people who are classed in brackets that cant get loans/credit for one reason or other "high-risk", no one else will help them but i know that provident will. I borrowed £100 in vouchers (use at hundreds of stores) and in total i paid back £125. It was meant to be over 25 weeks at £5 per week but i couldnt pay some weeks and that was no problem at all, it took me 39 weeks to pay it back, but they didnt charge me an extra penny!! again what banks would????

So come on, get your nose out of the air and stop asking Martin to close ppl like that down. A lot of ppl. like myself, dont get credit anywhere else.(for a variety of different reasons-ppl are all different with different abilities etc so stop judging) So what, you want us to not get any credit fool-stop?

I know your initial reaction to the interest rate, but maybe now you've heard from someone they help ( that no bank will) maybe you should think again...they've really helped me out of a few tight spots
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure