We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Dublin / Belfast?

Options
Hi!

Quick Q - My boss wants me to find him a flight from Belfast to Dublin on a direct flight - all the ones im finding divert to LHR first? Anyone know of any direct flights? (dont know why I cant just hire him a car - its a 2 hr drive!!)

Thanks

Me

Comments

• jamesbrownontheroad
    jamesbrownontheroad Posts: 617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 May 2010 at 4:19PM
    Options
    There are no direct flights. It's not worth flying. The night before Ryanair launched their flights out of Belfast, it took about 15 minutes for the empty plane to 'position' up from Dublin to Belfast.

Book him on the Enterprise, it's the cross-border train jointly operated by Iarnrod Eireann and NI Railways. Departures every two hours, takes about two hours. Standard and first class.

Tickets and info (for southbound journeys) from http://www.translink.co.uk/
    Tickets and info (for northbound journeys) from http://www.irishrail.ie/

Alternatives are bus (see Translink above or AirCoach, but with AirCoach you have to change at Dublin Airport) or driving, however roadworks to improve the northern section of the route are ongoing, and it's strangely easy to miss the turn-off for Dublin on the M1 heading away from Belfast (the motorway heads south out of Belfast and then veers west into the middle of nowhere... a kind of sixties statement about what Northern Irish politicians' thought building links to the Republic).
  • jammin_2
    jammin_2 Posts: 2,461 Forumite
    Options
    Yup, no direct flight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts