28th May flights booked - what insurance is volcanic ash-proof?

Options
Hello,

I have booked flights to New York at the end of May and am worried that the dreaded volcano will still be able to disrupt my holiday!

I haven't bought my travel insurance yet, so would like some advice on which one might cover me if the flights are delayed or worse, cancelled and what would happen if we get stuck there?

I am staying with family, but have booked two nights in different hotels when I'm there and would hate to lose this if the flights are delayed. I also work in a school so the timing of the flights is fairly critical and will be hard to be flexible!

Thank you. JB

Comments

• Cityboy_2
    Cityboy_2 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,

I have booked flights to New York at the end of May and am worried that the dreaded volcano will still be able to disrupt my holiday!

I haven't bought my travel insurance yet, so would like some advice on which one might cover me if the flights are delayed or worse, cancelled and what would happen if we get stuck there?

I am staying with family, but have booked two nights in different hotels when I'm there and would hate to lose this if the flights are delayed. I also work in a school so the timing of the flights is fairly critical and will be hard to be flexible!

Thank you. JB

You will be unlikely to be able to buy insurance now that will offer you cover against actions due to the volcanic ash.

Moreover, perhaps you might like to consider buying insurance at the same time as you make your travel plans next time since if something goes wrong between buying flights/hotels/car hire etc you would not be covered for issues arising from that.
  • abfmdf
    abfmdf Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    I see that Flybe now offer volcanic ash insurance, so maybe if you find who underwrites their policies?
  • jay_bee2007
    jay_bee2007 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    As a moneysaver, I usually buy annual insurance when I go away, rather than the over-inflated prices offered by airlines at the time of booking. As I've been saving money, I haven't been away for more than a year, so my insurance has expired. So, I'm still looking for insurance but it seems the ash is as unpredictable as ever!
  • jonnynonny
    Options
    Travelex's site says that they are ashproof, but if you read futher, it doesn't cover the existing situation now that the threat is known.

Guess a lot of providers will be like this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure