We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Stansted Car Parking rRecomendations

Options
Hi guys,

Just a quick question, we are flying from Stansted at the end of the month and am wondering if anyone can recomend a good car parking company for 6 days.

We live nearby (and never fly from there!) and drive past occasionally and I was shocked to see an incredible amount of cars parked on random country roads next to ditches etc, something I have never seen before and drive past every 6 months or so. Sould these cars be people that have paid a company to park it securely? One Smart Car even had a Police Aware sign on it and been broken into!!!

SO, anyone know the best value for money and legit company? Any help greatly appreciated xxx

Comments

• Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    Options
    I'd recommend parking it on site! You never know what you're going to get with private companies.

I parked there for a week, special deal for the short stay car park.

Now if you're flying once a month then saving money might be worth it, but if it's your yearly holiday why scrimp on a few quid for parking?

PS. If you live nearby would it not be easier / cheaper to just get a taxi?
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, some of those cars will be put there by car parking companies. I used one (now shut down) for a few years without realising it - the car never came to any harm though.

There is really only one company at Stansted - which runs the three official car parks, short medium and long term. Booking in advance for the long term park is your best bet and is going to work out about the same whoever you book it through. Try the airport website and holiday extras.

I've also heard that Bishops Stortford football club offer parking - but they are a fair distance from the airport. Try googling. They should be reputable.
  • paulofessex
    paulofessex Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Options
    I do recall a recent newspaper article regarding just that, so called secure parking companies parking customers cars all over the place i.e. in residential roads, which l believe which led to the issue coming to light, residents were fed up with cars being parked for 1-2 weeks at a time etc. I think l also recall an issue that occurred where due to one of these compaines going bust, upon return no one knew where their cars was for that very reason.

Cannot you not weigh up the cost of the long stay car park at Stansted against perhaps a Airport Transport Service we have Gatwick Flyer for example or even get some costings from friends or family who may drop and collect you.
  • Littlemadam83
    Options
    Thanks for all your quick responses, that is REALLY helpful.

OK, so now I know they werent just airport staff cars, that is disgusting, and cannot believe the police let the cars stay there on the side of these country roads!!!

There is a not a bus service that comes through my town, and a cab would cost £67.00 return, which isnt bad, but one of the carparks on site is £45.00.

Mark - will look to see if they have any deals, thank you. It is annoying as we are flying up to Scotland to get married, so paying Stansted parking, and then off to Gatwick for honeymoon!!! So paying another 2 weeks parking and am just begrudging the costs :D

Thanks again guys xxx
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Options
    OK, so now I know they werent just airport staff cars, that is disgusting, and cannot believe the police let the cars stay there on the side of these country roads!!!

There have been various reports, on Watchdog etc, of stories of them being parked in industrial estates etc. I would never park with any company which requires me to leave my keys with them.
    There is a not a bus service that comes through my town, and a cab would cost £67.00 return

Ah, that's not what I'd call close really. e.g. A taxi to my local airport would be more like £30 return.
    , which isnt bad, but one of the carparks on site is £45.00.

Sounds about right. I doubt you'd get much cheaper once you've factored everything else in.
    Mark - will look to see if they have any deals, thank you.

Mine was for the short stay car park. £99 instead of £70 for the long stay. But it was worth the bit extra so that we could walk straight out of the airport and into the car!
    It is annoying as we are flying up to Scotland to get married, so paying Stansted parking, and then off to Gatwick for honeymoon!!! So paying another 2 weeks parking and am just begrudging the costs :D

Congrats! The reason I was at Stansted was for my honeymoon too :D. In my case I drove down from Newcastle, parked, then drove back again.
  • Takecareofthepennies
    Options
    BAA Parking (who run the three official car parks at Stansted) are also on Quidco, Topcashback etc.

Alternatively, you could book parking through BA.com if you prefer BA miles to cashback.
  • winnie81
    winnie81 Posts: 887 Forumite
    Options
    We recently booked to use the official parking at Stanstead as we didn't want to worry about the car elsewhere and only cost £29.99 for the week with paying in advance. We preferred peace of mind over saving a few £'s :)
    Wife to a great husband and mum to 4 fantastic kids 9,8,4,3 they drive me mad but I would do anything and give everything for my family :grinheart
  • Littlemadam83
    Littlemadam83 Posts: 785 Forumite
    Options
    Mark - cant believe you guys drove from Newcastle to Stansted!!! WOW, then I am not a patient person in the car, so I applaud you!!!

Winnie - Yep definitely going to book on site, those cars just looked so abandoned and it was really sad. Thanks for the tip :D
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Options
    Mark - cant believe you guys drove from Newcastle to Stansted!!! WOW, then I am not a patient person in the car, so I applaud you!!!

It's not so bad. 4 hours. On the way down, it was fine. 2 hours, then stop at Blyth services, then a stop for dinner then half an hour to the travelodge.

The way back was the bad one. Get up at 7am for the Madeira flight. Fly for 4 hours and touch down at 3pm. Get out of the airport at 4pm and then a 250 mile drive home which we did in 4 hours exactly including a ten minute stop at Wetherby services.

Got home at just after 8pm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family