Malaga - Car hire

Options
Looking to hire a car for 9 days

Pick up @ Malaga Airport on 24th June around midday
Drop off @ Malaga Airport on 2nd July around 1.00pm

Looking for something to take 3 adults + 1 child plus luggage

Something like a focus or mondeo estate

Anybody used any hire firms in Malaga they could recommend?

Comments

• melb
    melb Posts: 2,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    please don't use Malagacar.com (different to Malagacarhire.com) we were allocated them though enjoycar hire which had the cheapest prices on traveljungle which is one of the car hire comparison sites on here. saved about £40 compared to other quotes and fuel policy was pick up with half a tank and return empty which appealed to us. However when we had a puncture took to a garage round corner as we had trouble getting the tyre off and they refused to let us take it away - break pad was wafer thin/virtually non-existant. we'd noticed the brakes were very noisy. the wind screen wipers were hopeless when it rained (severely restricted vision) and OH said it wasn't handling very well. got us a taxi back to airport (fair enough) to get new car but said all renault meganes had squeaky brakes and were not going to do anything to brake pads before rehiring to some other poor soul. when we first picked up car 1 and when we returned to pick up car 2 there were several people complaining.
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Last time I was there, booked through DoYouSpain - hire was a Focus estate though Auriga Crown. Think it was 2 or 3 years ago - at the time fuel was "return at same level", but a few threads on here last year were complaining about "full to empty" across many parts of Spain so worth a check before booking (unless you'll be doing 400 miles+).

Focus estate should be plenty big enough - seemed bigger than my older Mondeo hatch.
  • teralin
    teralin Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    I can also recommend Doyouspain. They often put you with Auriga Crown who do a full/full policyon their fuel.

AVOID DECODE CAR HIRE AT ALL COSTS.

Sorry for the capitals but my experience with them was terrible. They take your money and give you a voucher for car rental. Then when you arrive at Malaga airport, the car rental company tells you (correctlly) that DECODE haven't passed on the payment for the car and you have to pay again. Apparantly, this happens all the time with DECODE. Avoid them!!
    I had to involve my credit card company to get a refund. Decode didn't want to know.
  • robbieroy
    robbieroy Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    Try SIXT car hire BUT go through the car hire link on Monarch Airlines web site and you will get it cheaper.
    RR
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    Options
    teralin wrote: »
    I can also recommend Doyouspain. They often put you with Auriga Crown who do a full/full policyon their fuel.

Auriga Crown include clutch wear and tear, or misuse as they call it, in their uninsured items list along with tyres, glass etc. If the clutch goes while you are renting the car a 300 Euro excess applies. This can be waived for 3 Euros a day. Insurance 4 car hire told me that I wouldn't be covered for mechanical failure, which they deem a clutch failure to be. So if renting through AC it may be worth buying their excess insurance.
  • estelle123
    estelle123 Posts: 446 Forumite
    Options
    i always use cargest,they r off site so none of that horrendous car park collection and del.They collect u from arrivals and take u to the office.I always find them fast and efficient.
  • melb
    melb Posts: 2,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I noticed cargest's offices can you tell me what their fuel policy is please?
    177k Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Be aware that the €300 excess does not cover the cost of a clutch failing. I've just been billed €829 by Auriga Crown for a failed clutch so I still owe them €529.
  • mikeinlondon
    Options
    Just used Goldcar booked through Autoeurope.com. £120 for 5 1/2 days, including CDW but not full cover. Had a brand new diesel Golf. They operate a full tank policy - pay for a full tank in advance (around 73 euros) and return it empty. problem is its very hard to empty a golf diesel - they are just too economical!!

Long queue to collect car at malaga airport, but you can just walk to collect the car, no shuttle buses.

They did charge £65 for an extra two days when we were stranded by the volcanic ash - that was the only negative.
  • estelle123
    estelle123 Posts: 446 Forumite
    Options
    When i last used cargest i just took the car back with the same amount of petrol that it came with.I have hired cars on site and off,i always find off site to be much better you have time to check over the car first with the company were as with on site you cant always do that.Also i refuse to queue down staires in a smelly hot hall.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure