We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What can I claim for?

Options
Just back from Barcelona to Belfast - supposed to return on Wednesday 5th but with the Irish air space closure due to ash had to reschedule for today. I'm going to submit my claim to Easyjet but wondered what I can include. Obviously I have hotel receipts for the 2 extra nights plus restaurant receipts but have incurred substantial additional phone charges as had no option but to turn on my international roaming on my iphone to change the booking and keep checking the status of the flights. I had not and would not have dreamed of using this feature abroad in any other circumstance as I know it will work out v expensive. also lots of additional calls and texts to worried family members - can i claim any of this back from Easyjet? Other expense has been 2 days off work with no pay for me and my hubby, can I include this in my claim? if neither are included does anyone know if it would be worth trying to claim for these under my insurance? Sorry, just hard to find any info and I'm really out of pocket and just can't afford to be! Thanks in advance for any advice.
Life's a box of beads - rainbow coloured and full of surprises!:D

Comments

• busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why don't you just submit your claim for everything and see what happens. I am sure they will pay for accomodation and reasonable food costs, but wouldn't have thought they would reimburse lost wages, but you can only ask.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think Easyjets responsibility is that of a duty of care which indeed covers your accom and food, you may have to go to your insurance company to try to chase the rest
  • Rach39
    Rach39 Posts: 827 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks guys, will go for the 'include everything' approach initially (suppose if you don't ask you don't get!!) If parts are rejected will have a go through insurance!!
    Life's a box of beads - rainbow coloured and full of surprises!:D
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Easyjet have no responsibility for lost wages, personally I would not even waste my time trying to claim for them (there is also a chance it could delay your other claims). I also think it would be a very robust insurance policy that covered lost earnings, although I am not saying such things don't exist.

Regarding phone calls, the EU legislation, under your right to care, states you should be offered TWO free of charge telephone calls. So you are entitled to claim for two. But any more than that your are probably at the mercy of Easyjet's good will. I don't know how they will respond but think you may find that other than the 2 you are allowed, any more may well be incidental expenses that they cannot be help accountable for. Remember that the cancellation is clearly not their fault.
  • Cityboy_2
    Cityboy_2 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    Rach39 wrote: »
    Just back from Barcelona to Belfast - supposed to return on Wednesday 5th but with the Irish air space closure due to ash had to reschedule for today. I'm going to submit my claim to Easyjet but wondered what I can include. Obviously I have hotel receipts for the 2 extra nights plus restaurant receipts but have incurred substantial additional phone charges as had no option but to turn on my international roaming on my iphone to change the booking and keep checking the status of the flights. I had not and would not have dreamed of using this feature abroad in any other circumstance as I know it will work out v expensive. also lots of additional calls and texts to worried family members - can i claim any of this back from Easyjet? Other expense has been 2 days off work with no pay for me and my hubby, can I include this in my claim? if neither are included does anyone know if it would be worth trying to claim for these under my insurance? Sorry, just hard to find any info and I'm really out of pocket and just can't afford to be! Thanks in advance for any advice.

Agree 100% with Bagand. Limit your claim to the meals/accommodation/2 phone calls plus airport transfers if you have receipts.

If you try and claim for any more than that provided in the reg it will only delay the settlement of your claim IMO.

Send copies of receipts and keep originals.
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Can I ask if Easyjet have acknowledged your claim and if you could keep us informed on your experience with them as my niece and her boyfriend were due to travel home from Charles De Gaulle airport last night but their flights were cancelled? The first available flights for them are Thursday 13th May, four days later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport