The Debt-Free Christmas Challenge!!

Options
OK....so this is the time of year many of us start worrying about how to pay for Christmas, so I thought I'd pinch an already done idea and adapt it to suit DFW'ers everywhere. Here's the challange:

A while ago a young guy in Canada took a red paperclip and by trading/swopping etc turned it into a house in under a year. The fact that it got lots of news coverage obviously helped, but it can work here too (albeit on a smaller scale). Take any small item, something you've been given, something picked up at a carboot or something from the poundshop and get working! I want you to sell these bits on ebay, at carboots, swap them with friends or family who want them. Get people involved, make them laugh and they'll do it just for the hell of it. Trade these bits up until you have enough for a present(s) you need and you're done.

I want to hear about your successes, funny stories, ideas etc and come Christmas we'll hopefully all have great presents and a be debt free at the same time....no spending £100's on this board!!!

I told my OH and he laughed at me, gave me 50 pence and told me to see what I could do with that....I bought an adorable teddy bear with that 50p at a carboot sale and am about to put him on ebay.....I'm on my way...are you joining me?

:money:

Comments

• tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ONE RED PAPERCLIP

OOooooh I love this idea :D

What to start with? Pencil sharpener, pen lid, dead moth I found on the floor this morning........................:D Not sure I'll be debt-free though, unless I can make 12 grand and enough for the prezzies and turkey :D
    Bulletproof
  • LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Think I might give this a go!
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My wageslip's just arrived through the door, they've finally got my tax code sorted so I've got an 'extra' £30 to play with :j :T

(That's not cheating, is it?) :D
    Bulletproof
  • FatJock
    FatJock Posts: 196 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Freebird65 - I'd be up for this. I love a challange and I've also read about the paperclip chap and thought it was a brilliant idea.

Aside from posting stuff for sale on Ebay do you have any hints/tips/pointers for websites that allow you to swap your items?

Also - Do we start off with one item and build from there or can we sell/swap several items at one time?

Cheers,
    FatJock
  • ehallett
    ehallett Posts: 1,960 Forumite
    Options
    I love this idea - it's fantastic!!

I'm in and I'm going to start with a collectible Narnia card game set that I won in a competition.

I'll list it on Ebay and see what happens :D

Good luck everyone

Emily x
  • poorbutrich
    poorbutrich Posts: 1,349 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Brilliant idea! Does anyone want to give me a house for this paperclip?
    Overpay!
  • make_life_easier
    Options
    I'd love to read the story about the paper clip boy - can you direct me to the story please.

Sounds like a very good idea, last year was my first year I didn't go into debt for chrimbo - I just told everyone I was sorting out my finances and only bought 4 pressies - all under £15. My neices and nephews went without but they didn't even notice as they got loads of pressies off their parents. I know I am lucky that my son has grown up now so something small, was enough.

Nobody thought any less off me for doing this and I think it took the pressure of them buying me a pressie too.;)
    became debt free December 06
  • freebird65
    freebird65 Posts: 1,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can start with as many or as few as you like.....maybe trade one item up to soooo much money it covers your whole Christmas, or start now with lots of little ones and go that route....the only thing holding any of us back is our imaginations!

I know there are swap sites out there, but I need to find them again before I can post the links.

If you have kids, get them involved - you could motivate them by saying there's something they want at the end of it so if they part with things they no longer want, they can take part too - one item could be their reward for joining in and another you keep to give them a surprise at Christmas. It might also be a way of showing them that giving is as much fun as receiving.

I'm just writing things down as I think of them - some ideas may need tweaking so don't shoot me down in flames if any come out all wrong!

The idea is to have some fun whilst "magic-ing" nice presents from next to nothing......and shouldn't Christmas be all about a little magic and not the rampant consumerism we encounter every year?

:D
  • freebird65
    freebird65 Posts: 1,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well said make-life-easier.......and if you look at the first reply to this thread by troo you'll find a link to the red paperclip story!
  • overbudget
    Options
    Brilliant idea - love it. I shall start with a bookmark I have because it looks rather like a paper clip! :)
    Highest Debt (July 06): £55117.79 Debt now: £52895.44 Debt Free Date: June 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure