We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Airmiles

Options
Hi,

I wonder if anyone who has used airmiles before could give me some advice? I've changed some Tesco vouchers into airmiles and thought we could use them to visit Barcelona. I was planning for April 2011 (school holidays as children will be coming) but even that far in advance there seems no or very little availability, is this normal? There seems to be more availability during the summer 2010 holiday and this seems to change daily sometimes alot of dates for flights then the next just flights I wound need to pay for.
Is there a best time to book? Are more flights made available nearer the travel date? Are only a certain number of flights ever made available?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• bcl999
    bcl999 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry can't help but there was a thread about this recently. I remember it as I posted that I never seem to have any diifficulty, although I tend to book short-notice midweek to what are probably not very popular destinations!

Have you tried search facility?
  • PeteB_London
    Options
    I'm not sure you can book that far ahead.

The airmiles tickets will be controlled to the cheapest cash fares, and the least flexible tickets in terms of changes etc. When I've booked I've usually ended up with the first flight of the day and the last flight of the day. It will vary a lot depending on destination and demand.

If you were booking the children as well, maybe try taking those off the booking and adding them later as cash fares?

Finally, I found the airmiles call centre really helpful hen I couldn't get any sense from the online search, so give them a call for advice.
  • abacab
    abacab Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    i think flights are on the system now to around april 25 next year,finding them can be tricky though.
    I've just secured flights to Sydney,coming back next April.A lot of the time the website showed very limited avalibility,but 3 or 4 times a week more flights appear(usually the same ones)for about a 4 hour period,then dissapear again.
    Check the website as much as you can,and dont give up.
    mattdf65 wrote: »
    Hi,

I wonder if anyone who has used airmiles before could give me some advice? I've changed some Tesco vouchers into airmiles and thought we could use them to visit Barcelona. I was planning for April 2011 (school holidays as children will be coming) but even that far in advance there seems no or very little availability, is this normal? There seems to be more availability during the summer 2010 holiday and this seems to change daily sometimes alot of dates for flights then the next just flights I wound need to pay for.
    Is there a best time to book? Are more flights made available nearer the travel date? Are only a certain number of flights ever made available?

Any advice would be appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family