Credit card advice/reccomendations advice please?

Options
Cerenia
Cerenia Posts: 1,857 Forumite
Hi, its my first post on here, so forgive me if there's a certain area or anything for this. I need to switch my credit card, I was pressured into signing up for a Natwest one when I was working there, but after being bullied, and ganged up against, I left, with no knowledge of credit cards bar the one I had (i'd not long turnt 18). They charged me payment protection, even though I stated clearly no, I complained, and got sent a form to have it taken off, and it wasn't taken off, and was spoken to rudely on the phone, even hung up on.

I need to switch my credit card asap, and want advice on credit card companies you guys reccomend for good service or anything? I've just turnt 19, so not a fantastic credit history, due to a £500 credit card debt, but mainly looking for somewhere that are half friendly! Any reccomendations? Also, i've just moved house, do I need to get enrolled onto the voters roll at my new address before I can apply for a card?
~*Cerenia*~

2017 Goals
Wedding Saving Pot - £1300/£2500

Comments

• Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Options
    If I've understood your post correctly, you have run up a debt on your first credit card of £500 in just under a year.
    This isn't explained by Natwest's service or the lack of it. Somewhere along the line, you've spent more on this card than you can afford to pay back at present.

Have you kept to the terms and conditions? In particular, have you paid up on time each month?
    Are you in regular employment?

If you can answer yes to these questions, you'll be able to switch, though this will require more effort, if you're no longer a bank employee.
    I've just moved house, do I need to get enrolled onto the voters roll at my new address before I can apply for a card?

I would certainly advise you to register first. Adding your name and current address to the electoral roll is easy and costs you nothing.
    If you type the name of your borough plus 'electoral roll' into google, it'll take you to the relevant page on your council website.
    Most local authority websites are set up so you can register online or download a form. The same form can usually be used for change of address, if you were on the roll at the old address.

Also, I would strongly advise you to check your Natwest statements and ensure there are no late payment charges. If you have not kept all the paperwork, you will need to order credit reports from Experian and Equifax. You may want to read the sticky on this first.

Meanwhile, decide how much you can afford to spend each month and try to pay off some of that £500. No matter how friendly the customer service staff seem, the same thing could happen all over again with the new card, if you don't budget.
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • Cerenia
    Cerenia Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    Options
    I do budget quite well, most of the £500 is bits left from christmas (I left work after a nervous breakdown from bullying right before xmas, and they explained my wages incorrectly, which meant I was down £400), and when I wasn't working for 4 months (december- April), I was told I couldn't have jobseekers allowance, as I was living with 3 adults, tried again when I moved to london, just me and my partner, and they refused me again, so my credit card had to help a little for food.

I am paying off the £500 quite well now, paid off £50 last month, but i'm STILL being charged payment protection, even though I signed a form saying I did NOT want it, and the interest. I've had one late payment, which I don't understand - I sent the cheque on the 20th, and the bank didn't take the funds out of my account until the 1st, then marked me as late. I did a credit cheque and I got 930 out of 1000, but got denied a credit card from Egg due to a low credit score, but i've heard some people saying they've been denied cards because they're not registered where they live, aka it looks dodgy.

I'm in regular employment now, not full time, but enough to get some savings built after rent and travel, and my main aimto just to get the credit card to a better place, where I can pay it off, and was wondering if anyone could reccomend me anything, because I have no idea what to look for in credit cards for paying it off :/
    ~*Cerenia*~

2017 Goals
    Wedding Saving Pot - £1300/£2500

• Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Options
    I was told I couldn't have jobseekers allowance, as I was living with 3 adults, tried again when I moved to london, just me and my partner, and they refused me again

This has nothing to do with your house-mates. If you left your job at the bank voluntarily, you were disqualified from claiming job seekers allowance for 6 months. (If due medical grounds, including stress, you could still claim job seekers, providing you have the backing of your GP.)

~~~~~

The fact remains, you have run up a debt on your first credit card of £500 in just under a year. You have a missed payment on your credit file [and narrowly missed having two*]. You have now moved to a new address and currently, you're not on the electoral roll. This is the information potential lenders will see, if you apply for another credit card.

To be honest, the chances of getting any credit card, never mind one with a lower interest rate than you have at the mo, are pretty remote.
    .. i'm STILL being charged payment protection, even though I signed a form ..and the interest.

If I were you, I'd tackle this first. Make yourself a cuppa, take a deep breath, then ring Customer Services and (with as much patience as you can muster) explain that you're still being charged payment protection insurance in error.

The next step is to register on the electoral roll (Please see previous post) Most council websites explain how the register is compiled and when you can expect your name to be added.

Meanwhile, rather than building up savings, it's best to concentrate on paying off the credit card, since it's costing you money.

Above all, make absolutely sure you make a credit card payment on time every month. Now you've moved to London, you'll be able to pay by cheque at a Natwest branch, rather than risk sending cheques by post. You may want to consider setting up a direct debit for the minimum payment as well.

*If your monthly statement doesn't arrive when expected, don't just forget about it. It's important to report the matter to Customer Services and request a copy statement. If you're serious about applying for another credit card in the future, you cannot afford any more missed payments.

Very best
    M
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure