Negotiating the Virgin balance transfer fee?

Hi,

I remember reading on here before that it's possible to negotiate the Virgin balance transfer fee. Can anybody confirm that this is true?

I ask because they're currently offering me 0% on transfers to a current account (4% fee) until December (existing customer deal). So that's about 7 months.

Now I know that 7 months isn't a very long time (they introduced me to the offer a couple of months ago but I've been sitting on my hands:() I'm not really hoping to make any money on this "stooze" but rather create a little nest egg that I can use in future investments. But I don't want to lose money on it either.

So assuming I can get a savings rate of 4% (or 5% on balances up to £2500 with the Santander current account), then I'll need to get the balance transfer fee down to about 2% - is this do-able? Does anyone have any tips on what to say, etc?

Replies

• CannyJockCannyJock Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Good luck - my BT deals are currently restricted to a 5% fee (possibly stoozer spotting at their side :)) - and their CS people insist they have no flexibility to change the fee.

Your only options are to wait for a better one-time offer, or to apply for another MBNA card, take it, transfer your Virgin limit over to it, then take them up on the offer ;)
    "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals