Mobile phone internet - Can I leave it switched on???

Please forgive if posted in the wrong place.

Have recently upgraded to the HTC Hero on 3 - I have unlimited internet on the phone and was wondering if it will cost just to leave the mobile network switched to on?

The reason I ask is I want my emails sent through my mobile so can access constantly but the obviously only come through if my internet is left on.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Will be fine to leave on. Only if you decided to continuously watch youtube or similar would you start to use a lot of bandwith
  • Well anything that is downloaded will come out of your "unlimited" internet (I know very heavy users are asked not to), but a few emails being downloaded will hardly be anything.

I have an HTC HD2 which connects to my wireless network when at home so it doesn't come out of the phone's internet contract, can you set that sort of thing up for home?
  • MrsASmith
    MrsASmith Posts: 167 Forumite
    Thanks for replies. Yes I have wireless at home so this would be a good idea. I was just worrying that leaving the network on in the background would occur costs.
  • BillScarab
    BillScarab Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    MrsASmith wrote: »
    Thanks for replies. Yes I have wireless at home so this would be a good idea. I was just worrying that leaving the network on in the background would occur costs.

If you use things like Twitter or Facebook on your phone and have them set to auto update they will use part of your allowance but only a tiny bit. Other things like news feeds and weather updates will as well.

Download an app like netcounter or 3g sentry and that will monitor you internet usage for you.

I always leave mine switched on as if you switch it off so nothing can auto update you lose a lot of the advantages of having a smartphone in the first place.

Just set it to use your wireless at home as that will not be part of your allowance and will be faster.
    It's my problem, it's my problem
    If I feel the need to hide
    And it's my problem if I have no friends
    And feel I want to die

• tronator
    tronator Posts: 2,857
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    MrsASmith wrote: »
    I was just worrying that leaving the network on in the background would occur costs.

If you have unlimited Internet, then it is unlimited. Only if you connect your phone to your computer and make massive downloads from it, the network provider might enforce a fair usage policy. But even then he will most like send you a letter or email first.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    tronator wrote: »
    If you have unlimited Internet, then it is unlimited.

Not true for any of the mobile operators - see here.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • robt_2
    robt_2 Posts: 3,401
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    tronator wrote: »
    If you have unlimited Internet, then it is unlimited.
    Do you live in an alternative universe?

Utter rubbish (common knowledge) I'm afraid.
  • tronator
    tronator Posts: 2,857
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    espresso wrote: »
    Not true for any of the mobile operators - see here.

Ok, I didn't know this. But I have to say 3GB per month is kind of unlimited. I use my Android for all sorts of things like Google Maps, Email, Podcasts, ... and never had problems.

At least my statement that they will not charge you straight away when you go over your limit seems to be true for T-Mobile.
    If you use more than your fair use policy amount, we won't charge you any more, but we may restrict how you can use your plan, depending on how often you go over your amount and by how much.
  • MrsASmith
    MrsASmith Posts: 167 Forumite
    Hi, yes I have unlimited internet but it is subject to fair usage policy - I thing 1GB per month.

Have had the phone a wk and am still trying to get used to it, only went for the phone as the price plan was cheap - am trying to make the most use of it now as it has alot of gadgets etc Im very interested in.

Thanks all x
  • BillScarab
    BillScarab Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Generally if you exceed the Fair Use allowance on an 'unlimited' interent deal occassionally you won't get charged. However if you do it regularly you will, or they will want ot move you to a different plan that costs more.
    It's my problem, it's my problem
    If I feel the need to hide
    And it's my problem if I have no friends
    And feel I want to die

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business