AA car insurance made me an offer (or not?)

Options
Suzkin
Suzkin Posts: 517 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 30 April 2010 at 1:29PM in Insurance & life assurance
Just received letter re. automatic annual renewal for AA car insurance (I can't recall asking for 'automatic' renewal, anyway). I currently have ROADSIDE (paid £50.50) and HOME START (paid £53) insurance*, and luckily - through a combination of careful driving and not driving at all! - have not needed to call on the AA yet. :o

I asked to cancel the membership (expires in June) and the customer advisor said he would sell me ROADSIDE insurance only, for £29 for the entire year. Also, that if at any time I require HOMESTART then there would be a surcharge of approx. £30.

I am fairly new to driving: does this sound like a good offer? If the car is going to breakdown / not work, surely it would be near the house on setting out to drive? :o

Alternatively, I'm thinking of just cancelling the insurance, and then shopping for another deal when I start driving again (I'm job seeking and so whilst still holding onto my car, am only driving it now and again - to keep it in check/running over).

[* These prices exclude the discounts I received via the comparison sites - thanks very much, Martin!]

All advice / comments, welcome.

Comments

• Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    See this article for getting cheap breakdown cover

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-breakdown-discounts

NB: standard roadside cover is £28 through the AA website so the advisor offering it for £29 is not exactly doing you any favours. If you use a cahsback website you can get £21 cash-back so actual cost of 1 year roadside cover is £7.

http://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/uk-breakdown/view-options.do

:D
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 April 2010 at 2:02PM
    Options
    If the car is going to breakdown / not work, surely it would be near the house on setting out to drive?
    Not necessarily.
    You can get a puncture or hit a pothole anywhere.
    Alternatively, I'm thinking of just cancelling the insurance, and then shopping for another deal when I start driving again (I'm job seeking and so whilst still holding onto my car, am only driving it now and again - to keep it in check/running over).

If you are short of cash, then go without it.

I would also consider AutoAid which I think id £37.
    It's pay and claim so you really need to have a credit card, but it's much more than jsut roadside.
    It covers you at home, recovery and for onward travel e.g. taxi to your destination.
  • Suzkin
    Suzkin Posts: 517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you both - I've now just cancelled my membership (to save much needed funds) and will take a look at the other options you have suggested, for the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure