AA car insurance made me an offer (or not?)

edited 30 April 2010 at 1:29PM in Insurance & Life Assurance
3 replies 546 views
SuzkinSuzkin Forumite
517 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 April 2010 at 1:29PM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Just received letter re. automatic annual renewal for AA car insurance (I can't recall asking for 'automatic' renewal, anyway). I currently have ROADSIDE (paid £50.50) and HOME START (paid £53) insurance*, and luckily - through a combination of careful driving and not driving at all! - have not needed to call on the AA yet. :o

I asked to cancel the membership (expires in June) and the customer advisor said he would sell me ROADSIDE insurance only, for £29 for the entire year. Also, that if at any time I require HOMESTART then there would be a surcharge of approx. £30.

I am fairly new to driving: does this sound like a good offer? If the car is going to breakdown / not work, surely it would be near the house on setting out to drive? :o

Alternatively, I'm thinking of just cancelling the insurance, and then shopping for another deal when I start driving again (I'm job seeking and so whilst still holding onto my car, am only driving it now and again - to keep it in check/running over).

[* These prices exclude the discounts I received via the comparison sites - thanks very much, Martin!]

All advice / comments, welcome.

Replies

• Clive_WoodyClive_Woody Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    See this article for getting cheap breakdown cover

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-breakdown-discounts

NB: standard roadside cover is £28 through the AA website so the advisor offering it for £29 is not exactly doing you any favours. If you use a cahsback website you can get £21 cash-back so actual cost of 1 year roadside cover is £7.

http://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/uk-breakdown/view-options.do

:D
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • edited 30 April 2010 at 2:02PM
    lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    27.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 April 2010 at 2:02PM
    If the car is going to breakdown / not work, surely it would be near the house on setting out to drive?
    Not necessarily.
    You can get a puncture or hit a pothole anywhere.
    Alternatively, I'm thinking of just cancelling the insurance, and then shopping for another deal when I start driving again (I'm job seeking and so whilst still holding onto my car, am only driving it now and again - to keep it in check/running over).

If you are short of cash, then go without it.

I would also consider AutoAid which I think id £37.
    It's pay and claim so you really need to have a credit card, but it's much more than jsut roadside.
    It covers you at home, recovery and for onward travel e.g. taxi to your destination.
  • SuzkinSuzkin Forumite
    517 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thank you both - I've now just cancelled my membership (to save much needed funds) and will take a look at the other options you have suggested, for the future.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides