Bought used car this week, needs sunroof sealed up!

Options

Comments

• somech
    somech Posts: 624 Forumite
    Options
    I've just called them and they said that you can expect this with cars of a certain age (7 years old)(my 13 year old car never had this problem) and it happens sometimes. I said that as I bought the car with a sunroof and its now being sealed up, that I either want a discount or I will reject the car.
    They're going to call me back.

reject it
    the dealer sounds less than helpful
  • lilacclaire
    Options
    Is this grounds for rejection legally though.
    Thats what im really getting at.
  • lilacclaire
    Options
    They have just called back, going to get a new sunroof.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good news then.

I wouldn't ever seal up a sunroof as a first attempt to stop it leaking. The first things I would try are to clear any drainage channels, clean any seals, and grease seals with silicone oil/grease first. This has worked for me in the past.
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    good result
  • blossom30
    blossom30 Posts: 691 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a used Rover 25 from a dealership on tuesday, wednesday morning there was water leaking in from the roof and there is a sunroof.
    Car has 1 month warranty from dealer.
    I phoned about the leak and also a rubbing noise coming from the front. Was due to take it up yesterday at teatime, but yesterday during the day was on my way home and nipped into shops, came out and when I put the key in the ignition the alarm started going off and would not stop, phoned dealer who told me to bring car up straight away.
    Now there was water in the fuse box and the interior light/clock/radio not working.
    Dealer just called to say the sun roof is corroded and they won't replace the sunroof due to the cost and there best bet is to permantly seal it up.
    Do I have some comeback here, as the car was advertised as having a sun roof, i've bought the car on finance as well :mad:
    Hi Lilac Claire, This brought back a memory about my first car a seat ibiza and the sun roof leaked in that and I used a bit of blu tack to stop the rain from getting through! After I sold the car a year later, it passed me in a taxi up in Aberdeen and I live in Glasgow! The taxi driver said it was common for people from Aberdeen to go down to Glasgow car auctions when looking for cars. Shrewdal
  • lilacclaire
    Options
    anewman wrote: »
    Good news then.

I wouldn't ever seal up a sunroof as a first attempt to stop it leaking. The first things I would try are to clear any drainage channels, clean any seals, and grease seals with silicone oil/grease first. This has worked for me in the past.

I thought that as well, but they said that it was because of corrosion on the sun roof.
    Fingers crossed that things will be ok now, its really low mileage (14k) and fsh on it!
  • lilacclaire
    Options
    shrewdal wrote: »
    Hi Lilac Claire, This brought back a memory about my first car a seat ibiza and the sun roof leaked in that and I used a bit of blu tack to stop the rain from getting through! After I sold the car a year later, it passed me in a taxi up in Aberdeen and I live in Glasgow! The taxi driver said it was common for people from Aberdeen to go down to Glasgow car auctions when looking for cars. Shrewdal

Blu tak lol, i'll bear that in mind if I have problems in the future :beer:
  • somech
    somech Posts: 624 Forumite
    Options
    Its a honda engine

are you sure ?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Virtually all factory fitted sliding sunroofs leak. There are drainage tubes that carry the water away. Sometimes the tubes get pulled off or blocked up resulting in a soggy car.

BTW I have 12 year old Rover with a K series engine. Had it from new, and the sunroof doesn't leak... neither does the engine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure