Bought used car this week, needs sunroof sealed up!

I bought a used Rover 25 from a dealership on tuesday, wednesday morning there was water leaking in from the roof and there is a sunroof.
Car has 1 month warranty from dealer.
I phoned about the leak and also a rubbing noise coming from the front. Was due to take it up yesterday at teatime, but yesterday during the day was on my way home and nipped into shops, came out and when I put the key in the ignition the alarm started going off and would not stop, phoned dealer who told me to bring car up straight away.
Now there was water in the fuse box and the interior light/clock/radio not working.
Dealer just called to say the sun roof is corroded and they won't replace the sunroof due to the cost and there best bet is to permantly seal it up.
Do I have some comeback here, as the car was advertised as having a sun roof, i've bought the car on finance as well :mad:

Comments

• somech
    somech Posts: 624 Forumite
    i would refuse the car on two fronts

1 being a rover

2 it was sold as having a sunroof so sealing it up with sealant is just wrong
  • Im going to call them and either reject the car (if legally possible) or ask for a discount (finance already in place, would this cause problems).
    I suppose im really looking for some legal advice on my rights here.
  • somech wrote: »
    i would refuse the car on two fronts

1 being a rover

2 it was sold as having a sunroof so sealing it up with sealant is just wrong

this is what i would do too
  • I've just called them and they said that you can expect this with cars of a certain age (7 years old)(my 13 year old car never had this problem) and it happens sometimes. I said that as I bought the car with a sunroof and its now being sealed up, that I either want a discount or I will reject the car.
    They're going to call me back.
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Reject the car and get your money back, the dealer will also have to cover the costs of unwinding the finance. If you get any trouble from them give the finance company a ring and see what they suggest.
  • stef73
    stef73 Posts: 545 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    reject the car before the head gasket goes (it will)
  • jrrowleyws
    jrrowleyws Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    stef73 wrote: »
    reject the car before the head gasket goes (it will)

You cant claim that, you dont even know what engine the car has... and its a bit of a generalisation anyway!
  • stef73
    stef73 Posts: 545 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Before Rover went i worked for a company which distributed all Rovers brochures , hand book and dealer service update sheets many of these i read . If it is a K series engine then from what i read from the manufacturer to its dealer networks i would not buy a Rover with a K series engine.
  • Its a honda engine
  • I paid a £200 deposit as well
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family